This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0173 / 56°1'2"N
Longitude: -3.6088 / 3°36'31"W
OS Eastings: 299807
OS Northings: 681650
OS Grid: NS998816
Mapcode National: GBR 1R.SZ39
Mapcode Global: WH5R2.J0RX
Plus Code: 9C8R298R+WF
Entry Name: 13 South Street, Bo'Ness
Listing Name: 13 South Street, Former Tolbooth
Listing Date: 22 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357951
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22394
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Bo'ness and Blackness
Traditional County: West Lothian
Dated 1750, restored 1981 by William A Cadell Architects. 3-storey, 5-bay, L-plan former tolbooth converted to dwellings with shop at ground, closing irregular terrace to W. Harled with ashlar dressings and quoin strips. Cill and lintel courses to 1st floor, moulded eaves course. Roll-moulded doorpiece.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Centre bay at ground with 2-leaf panelled timber door and 4-part fanlight giving way to moulded panel carved with '1750' 'RB' 'EB', windows in flanking bays (those to left enlarged), chamfered angle to outer right, and regular fenestration to each floor above.
E (GIBSON'S WYND) ELEVATION: gabled elevation with 2 blocked windows at ground and small attic window; 3 small pall stones at ground.
N (NORTH STREET) ELEVATION: boarded timber door immediately to left of centre at ground with blocked window beyond to left, 2 windows to each floor above (those to left all enlarged); recessed bay to right with timber forestair under slated outshot roof; 3 Velux rooflights above.
12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows, and 9-pane glazing pattern in casement windows. Pantiles (1981). Coped ashlar stacks with cans; ashlar-coped skews.
INTERIOR: 1st floor front rooms retain almost all original fielded panelling, heavy cornices and moulded stone chimney pieces. Room to right with partly-glazed cupboard with Gothick intersecting tracery. Moulded stone chimney piece to 2nd floor.
The survival of original glazing bars is of particular interest. The original listing describes 2 original asymmetrically placed brick wallhead stacks, sadly these have been removed. A carved stone dated 1647 (mentioned in earlier listing but not identified 2003) on the E gable is possibly imported from an earlier structure on the site. Bo'ness was created a Burgh of Regality in 1668 by the Duchess of Hamilton. Its charter states that all 'customs, tolls, anchorages, shore dues and others' were to go to the duchess or her heirs. The new tolbooth may have been needed to assist with collection of beer tax, as a 1744 Act levied a tax of 2d Scots as revenue for the upkeep of Bo'ness Harbour.
Other nearby listed buildings