History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

102 High Street, Public Library

A Category B Listed Building in Burntisland, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.059 / 56°3'32"N

Longitude: -3.2343 / 3°14'3"W

OS Eastings: 323233

OS Northings: 685809

OS Grid: NT232858

Mapcode National: GBR 26.QCB8

Mapcode Global: WH6S0.9Z30

Entry Name: 102 High Street, Public Library

Listing Date: 3 August 1977

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 358468

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22812

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Burntisland

County: Fife

Town: Burntisland

Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Burntisland

Description

William Williamson, 1906. 2-storey, 6-bay French Baroque library with flanking single storey walls. Polished ashlar channelled at ground with channelled quoins above, moulded band courses and eaves course with modillioned cornice and blocking course piend and platform roof; architraved, keystoned, segmental-headed windows at 1st floor with moulded aprons. Wing (extension?) to rear of brick construction.

N (HIGH STREET) ELEVATION: symmetrical, bays grouped 2-2-2. Segmental porch spanning 2-bays at centre with concave flanks, 3 steps lead to round-headed doorcase of paired and moulded dentils below moulded cornice and decorative lead parapet, panelled door with decorative semi-circular fanlight; 2 windows to right and 2 windows to left at ground. Flanking concave outer screen walls with timber doors below blind oval medallions, obelisks surmounting advanced outer piers. 1st floor, 6 windows grouped in pairs, centre pair with flanking medallions and swags.

W ELEVATION: 1st floor architraved window (as above) to outer left.

12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates.

INTERIOR: some alteration to internal layout. Entrance hall with paired round-headed doorcases with decorative fanlights and broken pedimented doorcase, Andrew Carnegie dedication plaque dated 1907. Stone staircase with timber handrail and newel posts, and decorative cast-iron balusters. Shouldered windows with keystones and modillioned cornices to 1st floor front and sides, round-headed and vaulted windows elsewhere. Decorative cornicing and elaborate brackets decorated with fruit swags at 1st floor.

Statement of Interest

Built on site of UF Church demolished 1906.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.