This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0659 / 56°3'57"N
Longitude: -3.2254 / 3°13'31"W
OS Eastings: 323802
OS Northings: 686574
OS Grid: NT238865
Mapcode National: GBR 27.PTK2
Mapcode Global: WH6S0.FSBN
Entry Name: North Greenmount Road, Greenmount Hotel with Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 3 August 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 358553
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22871
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy
Traditional County: Fife
Circa 1860. 2-storey Italianate house with SW tower now derelict. Dressed ashlar with rusticated long and shortwork quoins and polished dressings; base, band and eaves courses, block modillioned cornice; architraved round-headed windows and architraved doors, keystones, colonnettes and stone mullions.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 6-bay. Recessed link to tower to left of centre, 2 columns below balcony with stone fretwork balustrades on square columns with console brackets, centre 2-leaf round-headed door with plate glass fanlight at ground, windows in flanking bays; 2 windows at 1st floor. Advanced wall to right with canted window to both floors, bipartite window at ground and window 1st floor on return to right. Recess to outer right with balcony supported on 2 columns in re-entrant, part-glazed door to right and window to left, tripartite window at 1st floor.
TOWER: advanced 3-stage tower to outer left, bipartite window at ground, window at 2nd stage and tripartite window at 3rd stage to each face.
E ELEVATION: 3-bay. Bipartite window at centre and left, projecting tripartite window with glazed returns to right; 1st floor with window at centre, adjacent smaller window to left and window to outer left, advanced tripartite window with glazed returns to right.
N ELEVATION: single storey M-gable wing demolished leaving exposed door at centre, window openings in flanking bays, door to right with abutting W wall remaining to outer right, door to left. Dominant tripartite stair window at approximate centre with small window at 1st floor right.
4-pane glazing pattern and plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows to S and E. Tower roof with grey slates, no other roofing remains. Grouped, coped ashlar stacks, decorative cast-iron(?)ball and spike finial.
BOUNDARY WALLS: flat-coped ashlar gatepiers. Low dressed ashlar boundary wall with coping of fretwork circle design below moulded baluster to S and extensive semi-circular coped random rubble boundary walls.
Gifford attributes Greenmount to Thomas Gibson, dating it 1859; an unknown source names the architects as Peddie and Kinnear, circa 1860; neither attribution has been verified. The current serious condition is due to fire damage and neglect. The building was reportedly "panelled throughout in African hardwoods" by Provost David John Balfour Kirke, who held office from 1912-19. Greenmount Drive (to S) was the avenue to the house, with stables and coach-house (converted) on Kirkbank Road.
Other nearby listed buildings