This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0584 / 56°3'30"N
Longitude: -3.2345 / 3°14'4"W
OS Eastings: 323221
OS Northings: 685747
OS Grid: NT232857
Mapcode National: GBR 26.QC9D
Mapcode Global: WH6S0.9Z0F
Entry Name: 25, 26 and 27 Somerville Square
Listing Date: 24 November 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 358563
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22878
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy
Traditional County: Fife
17th century with later alterations to rear. 3-storey, rectangular-plan 2-part tenement in irregular terrace, with forestair, corbel courses to jettied principal and 1st floor sections. Harled with stone cills and painted margins.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: NO 25: forestair leading to principal floor panelled door at outer right, door below in stair; small window to left at ground with adjacent window to outer left below corbelled course, principal floor small (stair?) window to outer left, 2nd floor small (stair?) window at centre with roofline broken above, windows to outer right and left.
NOS 26 and 27: forestair from right leading to pedimented door at principal floor to left of centre in broad slightly advanced bay (carved pediment a later insert dated 1720), timber door in stair return at ground, small window in return to right at 1st floor; 2 windows to ground left below corbel in re-entrant extending to stepped course, small (stair?) window centrally positioned above with roofline broken to right over door; door to outer right with window above at 1st and 2nd floor.
SOUTH ELEVATION: NO 25: door to outer left with window to right of centre at ground, pedestrian bridge fly-over from higher ground to part-glazed door at principal floor with 3 windows to right, 3 windows at 2nd floor close to eaves.
NOS 26 & 27: windows to left and right of centre at ground, flight of stairs and walkway to outer right leading to principal floor part-glazed door with adjacent light to left, window to centre (slightly higher) and further window to left, 3 flat-roofed dormer windows above breaking eaves.
6-, 9- and 12-pane glazing pattern in sash and case windows with plate glass glazing in small stair windows. Pantiles with ashlar coped skews (No 25) and crowstepped gables (Nos 26 and 27), coped ashlar stacks with cans and thackstanes.
Known as 'Watson's West Tenement', this building was bequeathed (circa 1689) by John Watson to the town as a mortification for the use of
3 widows called Watson, Orrock and Boswell (all family names). Local widows were provided with rent free accommodation until 1898 when it was sold due to poor condition. The building was sold back to the Town Council in 1956 for the sum of ?1 by Miss Mary Arnott of Perth and is still used to house 3 widows.
Other nearby listed buildings