This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.242 / 56°14'31"N
Longitude: -4.2082 / 4°12'29"W
OS Eastings: 263247
OS Northings: 707691
OS Grid: NN632076
Mapcode National: GBR 11.BNL8
Mapcode Global: WH4NH.BCBN
Plus Code: 9C8Q6QRR+RP
Entry Name: Gate And Gatehouse, Roman Camp Hotel, Callander
Listing Name: 182 Main Street, Roman Camp Gate House Including Boundary Wall, Rustic Arch and Gate
Listing Date: 6 September 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 358594
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22904
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Single storey and attic, 3-bay square-plan house of good streetscape value. Probably containing some late 18th/early 19th century fabric. Altered in the mid 19th and 20th centuries. When built the house perhaps bore no link to the nearby Roman Camp Hotel (see separate listing). However at some later stage it has been adopted as its lodge/gatehouse due to its location at the head of a driveway leading from the Main Street to the Roman Camp Hotel.
Symmetrical arrangement to principle (NE) street elevation; windows to outer bays at ground floor with large rectangular dormer windows at eaves to attic. Modern extension to the rear (SW).
Small circular-plan turret set on the angle of the NE/SE elevation, supported on corbels rising above the eaves level (probably 20th century). There is a carved sandstone panel recessed slightly into the turret; shield with inscription 'The Camp House' surmounted by a carved coronet.
Pink painted render with painted stone dressings. Modern timber door, timber sash and case windows to original house, modern fenestration to rear extension. Piended roofs to dormers. Pitched roof with grey slates, coped ashlar gable apex stack to SE elevation with 2 circular clay cans. Slated cap roof and apex lead flashing to turret.
Boundary Wall, Rustic Arch and Gate
Rubble boundary wall to head height with end-on rubble copes. The wall leads down from 182 Main Street and runs alongside the drive to the hotel. There is a similar corresponding boundary wall on the opposite side belonging to 184 Main Street. A rustic rubble arch (probably early 20th century) spanning the drive is incorporated into the wall; consisting of rough rubble flanking supports built to both sides of the wall, supporting a slender rubble segmental arch. A decorative wrought iron gate (probably early 20th century) is situated at the arch. The boundary wall to 182 runs a considerable distance further to the SW, terminating at an open meadow.
B-Group with Roman Camp Hotel and Roman Camp Hotel Walled Garden. The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map shows No 182 stretching longer along Main Street than it currently does (2004). Consulting the 2nd edition map it is clear that it was reduced in size to accommodate 178/180 Main Street in the later 19th century. The house was probably originally a single storey cottage raised up in the mid 19th century.
The Roman Camp Hotel, a private house till 1937, was purchased by Reginald Brett, 2nd Viscount Esher, in 1897. Esher set about on a vigorous improvement scheme on the house and the surrounding environs. It was probably during his ownership in the early 20th century that 182 Main Street was adopted as the lodge with the tower being added. It was probably also at this time that the rustic arch was built to add interest and formality to the driveway. The house now offers accommodation for hotel employees (2004). For further information consult Roman Camp Hotel list description.
Other nearby listed buildings