This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3723 / 56°22'20"N
Longitude: -3.838 / 3°50'16"W
OS Eastings: 286573
OS Northings: 721519
OS Grid: NN865215
Mapcode National: GBR 1H.2FQG
Mapcode Global: WH5P7.03N7
Plus Code: 9C8R95C6+WQ
Entry Name: St Michael's Hall, Church Street, Crieff
Listing Name: Church Street, Crieff Community Hall, Former St Michael's Parish Church
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 359242
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB23481
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathearn
Traditional County: Perthshire
Begun 1786, completed by William Stirling 1827. Large 5-bay, rectangular-plan, piend-roofed former church with crenellated, 4-stage, centre tower. Harled. Band courses to tower. Round-headed windows.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Tower (see below) projecting to centre bay, flanking bays each with tall window, tall narrow light to outer left and smaller narrow square-headed window to outer right with further round-headed window over.
TOWER: 1st stage with 2-leaf boarded timber square-headed door and 5-part fanlight, and small window to 2nd stage; 3rd stage with taller windows to S, E and W giving way to taller 4th stage with louvered bipartite openings to each elevation.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-leaf boarded timber door to centre with tall lights to flanking bays.
E ELEVATION: square-headed, asymmetrical fenestration to each floor.
N ELEVATION: largely blank elevation with door and adjacent small window to outer left.
Stylised multi-pane glazing patterns in timber windows. Grey slates. Coped and shouldered brick stack to E.
INTERIOR: altered (see Notes); boarded dadoes retained.
Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. St Michaels Churchyard and boundary walls are listed separately. Formerly Crieff Parish Church, and built on the site of an earlier church of St Michael in the walls of which were found forty Robert I gold coins. Groome describes the current building as "the plain East church, with an ill-designed bell-tower". In 1882 the building became St Michael's church hall, when the new church was built in Strathearn Terrace, and subsequently a community hall in the late 20th century. Protracted building time partly due to a successful lawsuit against the heritors, when the church was abandoned unfinished by the contractor after the congregation occupied it during shower of rain. Finally completed by order of the Court of Session in 1827, at the joint expense of the heritors and feuars. Korner refers to a marble tablet sited over the door and inscribed "In memory of the late gallant Sir David Baird". He also mentions the graveyard being in a "bad state"?. Interior alterations include removal of the gallery, installation of stage, raising of floor and altering vestibule to small room now accessed by stair. A king post roof is however concealed by modern ceiling tiles.
Other nearby listed buildings