This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3718 / 56°22'18"N
Longitude: -3.8384 / 3°50'18"W
OS Eastings: 286547
OS Northings: 721459
OS Grid: NN865214
Mapcode National: GBR 1H.2FNH
Mapcode Global: WH5P7.03GN
Plus Code: 9C8R95C6+PJ
Entry Name: Ruberslaw House, Church Street, Crieff
Listing Name: Church Street, Ruberslaw House Including Boundary Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 359244
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB23483
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathearn
Traditional County: Perthshire
Late 18th to early 19th century, altered 1811 and 1822. 2-storey and basement, 5-bay, T-plan classical former bank and bankhouse with outer and centre bays bowed, subdivided into flatted accommodation. Harled with stone margins. Heavy Doric-columned porch; Venetian window (1822); Tudor hoodmoulds (1811).
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3 bays to left with dominant centre porch, panelled timber door, plate glass fanlight and window to each return, wide-centre Venetian window above; flanking bays bowed with window to each floor including basement. Later, 2-bay, regularly-fenestrated wing to right with bowed outer bay and small blocked opening to 1st floor centre; 2 doors to raised basement at left bay.
N ELEVATION: 3-bay projecting wing to centre with deep-set door and narrow flanking lights, windows to outer bays and regular fenestration to 1st floor, that to centre bay part-blocked former stair window; dominant wallhead stack to centre with scrolled shoulders. 2 windows to each floor on returns, that to left with additional centre door at ground; further door with window above on set-back face to left, that to right with raised basement, window to each floor and further window in re-entrant to left.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical fenestration to elevation with raised basement and out-of character timber porch.
Largely 12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates; piend-and-platform roof with rectangular-plan lantern. Coped and shouldered harled wallhead stacks with some cans.
INTERIOR: decorative plasterwork cornicing and decoratively-astragalled lantern over timber dog-leg staircase with ball-finialled newels and turned balusters. Porch with margined glazing, some etched.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: semicircular-coped rubble boundary walls; decorative ironwork railings.
The Commercial Bank of Scotland opened a branch here in 1811 under the agency of Robert Adie. By 1878 Ruberslaw was the home of Sir William Elliott, eighth Baronet of Stobs, Roxburghshire and his wife, Charlotte Mara Wood who died here in November of that year. The building was used as a convalescent home for wounded soldiers from 17 May, 1915 until March 1919, there were 877 patients during that time. Now (2001) sub-divided into 6 flats.
Other nearby listed buildings