This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3732 / 56°22'23"N
Longitude: -3.8343 / 3°50'3"W
OS Eastings: 286808
OS Northings: 721615
OS Grid: NN868216
Mapcode National: GBR 1H.2GKR
Mapcode Global: WH5P7.22FJ
Plus Code: 9C8R95F8+77
Entry Name: 89 East High Street, Crieff
Listing Name: 89 and 91 East High Street
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 359248
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB23487
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathearn
Traditional County: Perthshire
Originally late 18th century, recast as school, converted to flatted dwellings probably late 19th century. Tall 2-storey with attic and basement, 6-bay, rectangular-plan former school and chapel, closing irregular terrace. Painted stucco with stone margins. Stepped hoodmould incorporating traceried window; hoodmould with label-stops; chamfered reveals to E.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: bays to left with centre door and 2-part fanlight, windows to outer bays at each floor, dormer windows breaking eaves. Bays to right mirror those at left but outer right bay gabled with tall hoodmoulded bipartite window in gablehead with stack piercing right pitch. Further shouldered stack breaking eaves at centre. Tower of adjoining property set-back to outer right (see Notes).
E ELEVATION: broad gabled elevation on ground falling to S. Blocked 3-light traceried window to centre at ground and small hoodmoulded window high up in gablehead. 2 window slappings to basement, and garden wall with Tudor-arched pedestrian entrance abutting at outer left.
4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped stuccoed stacks with cans (mostly polygonal) and ashlar-coped skews with decorative skewputts to E.
The tower (now listed with No 85 East High Street, The Tower Hotel) originally formed part of this building. Built as a medical college at the end of the 18th century by a Dr Malcolm, at which time there was a central block and wings. The college closed upon the doctor's death and the building was taken over by weavers and their families, but retained the name 'Malcolm's Houses'. The centre block was next divided between the police-constable and the Episcopalians of Crieff. Subsequently, the Rev Mr Lendrum purchased the whole building and reconstructed it as St Margarets Episcopal College (with Chapel) for 60 girls, with only a single window facing the street. It appears as St Margaret's College on the first edition Ordnance Survey map. The college closed after a typhus outbreak, and was purchased (for the sum of ?1,780) in 1859 by Morrisons Academy for the rector's residence and boarders. It was owned by the Academy until circa 1880. Miss Gordon-Cumming (later of Ochtertyre) late 19th century resident of 'College House, Crieff' described 'College Buildings' as "hideous as plaster and brown paint can make them - only from one attic window can we see one side of the tower, which has been spared by the plasterers, and reveals the fine rough blocks of red sandstone of which the college was built" (p371).
Other nearby listed buildings