This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3745 / 56°22'28"N
Longitude: -3.8334 / 3°50'0"W
OS Eastings: 286865
OS Northings: 721751
OS Grid: NN868217
Mapcode National: GBR 1H.28RX
Mapcode Global: WH5P7.21VK
Plus Code: 9C8R95F8+QJ
Entry Name: British Legion Hall, Taylor's Institute, Perth Road, Crieff
Listing Name: Perth Road, Old Schoolhouse and Royal British Legion Hall, Former Taylor's Institute Including Gatepiers, Boundary Walls, Railings and Gate
Listing Date: 9 June 1981
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 359284
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB23518
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathearn
Traditional County: Perthshire
Dated 1842, additions 1859. 2-storey, 3-bay Jacobean schoolhouse and single storey schoolroom to rear with gabled windowheads and shaped gabled porch. Squared and snecked rubble with ashlar margins and quoin strips. Eaves course. Bracketted cills. Chamfered arrises and timber mullions.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Slightly advanced centre bay with steps up to further advanced moulded doorway, stepped hoodmould and shaped gable pierced at apex and with flanking pyramid finials and timber door; bipartite window above breaking into gablehead with inscribed (see Notes) dated panel. Outer bays each with bipartite window to ground and smaller bipartites above with bracketted cills, raised margins and breaking eaves into pedimented windowhead.
NE ELEVATION: gabled bay to left with window to each floor, single storey wing with 4 windows to right, former school (see below) adjoining beyond.
SW ELEVATION: window to each floor of gabled bay to right (that to ground blinded) and lower bay to left with windows to each floor, that to 1st floor breaking eaves into pedimented dormerhead.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: gabled bay to right with single storey projection (former school see below) to left.
NE ELEVATION: bay to left (off-centre right of original building) gabled with lean-to extension, gablehead with square louvered opening abutting gabletted 2-stage corbelled bellcote with bell; 3 windows to right.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gabled bay to left with large blinded window to centre, 2 windows on return to right and modern porch in re-entrant angle, window to outer right of recessed face.
4-, 16-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows with central vertical glazing bar heavier suggesting mullion; top-opening timber windows to S of schoolhouse. Graded grey slates. Stepped ashlar-coped skews with bracketted skewputts and block finials.
GATEPIERS, BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS AND GATE: pyramidally-coped square-section harled gatepiers with saddleback-coped squared rubble quadrant walls, inset decorative cast-iron railings and gate.
Panel inscription reads '1842 Erected and endowed for the education of the children of the poor of the parish of Crieff through the generous liberality of W Taylor of Cornton'. William Taylor, a tallow-chandler in the burgh, left a further bequest upon his death which funded the addition of a 'Female Industrial School'. The single storey schoolrooms are now used by The Royal British Legion.
Other nearby listed buildings