This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3754 / 56°22'31"N
Longitude: -3.8373 / 3°50'14"W
OS Eastings: 286626
OS Northings: 721864
OS Grid: NN866218
Mapcode National: GBR 1H.27WY
Mapcode Global: WH5P7.00ZV
Plus Code: 9C8R95G7+53
Entry Name: Church Of Scotland, North Church, Strathearn Terrace And Ferntower Road, Crieff
Listing Name: Ferntower Road, St Andrews Halls Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 359282
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB23514
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathearn
Traditional County: Perthshire
T L Watson, Glasgow, 1884. First Pointed gothic revival church converted as church hall, with aisled 4-bay nave, entrance apse and 5-stage tower with clasping buttresses and attenuated spire. Narrow bands of bull-faced ashlar with contrasting rock-faced and polished ashlar dressings. Pointed-and shouldered-arch openings. Chamfered plinth, string and eaves courses. Hoodmoulds with label stops, raked cills and stone mullions. Boarded timber door with decorative ironwork hinges.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: apsidal centre bay with small steeply-pitched cross-finialled porch with moulded doorpiece, engaged colonettes and 2-leaf door, 2 small lancets to left and 3 tall lancets with colonnettes as above, conical roof over. Slightly lower set-back bay to right with lancet to each stage, small at 1st stage and taller above. Tower (see below) in re-entrant angle to left.
TOWER: 1st stage N with door and porch (as above but gablehead with tiny raised-centre triple lancet detail) breaking paired string courses into 2nd stage, single pointed-arch window to E. 2nd stage with gunloops flanking cross finial to N and 2 narrow lights to E giving way to shallow 3rd stage with tripartite gunloop-type opening to N, W and E. Tall 4th stage with single gunloop to each face giving way to reduced octagonal 5th stage with alternating large louvered openings and polygonal angle turrets each with blank 1st stage and tiny gunloop to each face at 2nd stage and attenuated polygonal ashlar finialled roof echoing spire above, latter with additional fleche to alternate faces.
E (STRATHEARN TERRACE) ELEVATION: single stage 4-bay nave aisle with double lancet to each bay; attenuated slated ridge ventilator appearing as spire; lower bay to left (vestry entrance) with door to left, 2 narrow square-headed lights immediately to right and rose window above in recessed face of nave; gabled bay to outer left with double lancet; tower (see above) in re-entrant angle to outer right.
W ELEVATION: 4-bay nave aisle and gabled bay to right (as above) linked by further lower bay; 2-stage gabled bay to left with 3 closely- aligned lancets at 1st stage, double lancet above and roundel in gablehead.
S ELEVATION: low 5-bay elevation of vestry with 3 shouldered bipartite windows to centre and right bays, door with adjacent light to left and blank bay to outer left under shouldered stack breaking eaves. Tiny pitch-roofed dormer window over penultimate bay to left and 3 diminutive triangular roof ventilators to right. Gablehead of church behind.
Multi-pane leaded glazing mostly with coloured margins; stained glass (see below). Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with some cans. Ashlar-coped skews with gablet skewputts; cast-iron downpipes with decorative fixings.
INTERIOR: serpentine-fronted gallery on cast-iron columns and arcaded aisles; fixed timber pews in semicircular-plan retained but with minor alterations. Open-timbered roof flattened at apex. Fine panelled timber organ housing by Hilsdon of Glasgow, 1932, to E with painted roundel above and rose windows to flanking returns. Memorials to both World Wars at N wall. Boarded timber dadoes.
STAINED GLASS: Duncan Memorial Window depicting 'Dorcas and Lyddi' by William Pritchard, 1936, gifted by George Logan Duncan of Strathearn Leigh in memory of his wife Bessie Mackay Meikle. Under gallery opposite, 'St Martin of Tours', 'St Francis of Assisi' and Celtic 'St Rowan' by Gordon Webster, 1969, presented by Muriel Lady Forteviot. 2 further saints, 'Andrew' and 'James' commemorating Rev James Ferguson.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: low stepped saddleback-coped rubble boundary walls with 2 pairs of ball-finialled square-section chamfered ashlar gatepiers and 2-leaf decorative ironwork gates.
Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. Originally the United Presbyterian Church. Built to a competition winning design, with tower and spire based on J J Stevenson's Kelvinside Church, at a cost of ?5,570. The North Church (as it was called) was opened on 10th October 1884 by Principal Cairns of Edinburgh. Building work was carried out by Messrs Donaldson & Sons of Crieff with stone from Pittantian Quarry, and the bell presented by Miss Richardson of Edinburgh. The seating arrangement optimises both sight and sound quality for all the congregation. The double glazing was completed in 1887, and the pipe organ installed by 1904 using a donation of ?200 from Andrew Carnegie. In 1955 the North and West (St Ninian's) Congregations joined, worshipping in each building on alternate Sundays. When St Ninian's closed, its memorials were transferred to St Andrew's thus there are now two memorials from each World War flanking the position where the pulpit was sited. Re-named 'Crieff St Andrew's' in 1964, the congregation joined with St Michael's Parish Church in the late 20th century.
Other nearby listed buildings