History in Structure

Bessie Bar's Cottage, Sandhaven, Culross

A Category B Listed Building in Culross, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.0554 / 56°3'19"N

Longitude: -3.6312 / 3°37'52"W

OS Eastings: 298510

OS Northings: 685925

OS Grid: NS985859

Mapcode National: GBR 1R.QD62

Mapcode Global: WH5QW.6236

Plus Code: 9C8R3949+5G

Entry Name: Bessie Bar's Cottage, Sandhaven, Culross

Listing Name: Culross, Sandhaven, Bessie Bar Cottage

Listing Date: 12 January 1972

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 359823

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB23979

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200359823

Location: Culross

County: Fife

Town: Culross

Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages

Traditional County: Fife

Tagged with: Cottage

Find accommodation in


Dated 1796. 2-storey, rectangular-plan house; pend to E. Harled; painted ashlar surrounds to door and windows.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near central door; National Trust for Scotland (NTS) plaque above door; lintel dated 1796; single flanking windows. 3 1st floor windows. Pend opening to far left; chamfer and stop to left quoin of pend; exposed stone arch.

E ELEVATION: adjoins Sandhaven, House (Tarnawski).

S ELEVATION: near central door; flanking single windows. Pend to far right; exposed stone arch. 4 1st floor windows. 2 projecting stones to far left.

W ELEVATION: not seen, 2001.

Replacement 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Timber boarded door. Pitched roof; clay pantiles to S; slates to N. Stone screws; scroll skewputts to N. Coped gable apex stacks.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2001. Modern pend inserted.

Statement of Interest

Formerly listed as Bessie Bar House (Va Kus) Main Street. Bessie Bar was a maltress, her malt house stands across the road to the NW. The nearby Bessie Bar Well was also named after her. According to Beveridge, Bessie's married name was Mrs Paterson and she had an extensive trade in malting. She is thought to have been Sir George Bruce's neice (NTS). A building attached to the rear left of the house is depicted on the 1860 OS Map, perhaps the projecting stones at 1st floor relate to this building. A circa 1900's photograph shows the principal elevation with door to left (now pend); central double doors with window to right and 3 1st floor windows. This property was restored in 1962. For brief history of Culross Burgh see Culross, The Cross, The Study.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.