History in Structure

Valleyfield Endowment, Low Causeway, Culross

A Category B Listed Building in Culross, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.0574 / 56°3'26"N

Longitude: -3.6173 / 3°37'2"W

OS Eastings: 299382

OS Northings: 686127

OS Grid: NS993861

Mapcode National: GBR 1R.Q99R

Mapcode Global: WH5QW.D0QN

Plus Code: 9C8R394M+X3

Entry Name: Valleyfield Endowment, Low Causeway, Culross

Listing Name: Culross, Low Causeway, the Endowment Including Boundary Wall and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 19 December 1979

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 359878

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB24031

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200359878

Location: Culross

County: Fife

Town: Culross

Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages

Traditional County: Fife

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


1830. Single storey, 6-bay institutional building with classical and gothic details, now converted to house. Pedimented central 2 bays. Advanced base course; vertical margins; eaves course; eaves cornice; margins to windows and doors; hoodmoulds. Droved ashlar block to principal elevation; rubble to rear.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical elevation. Central 2 bays advanced slightly; 2 bipartite windows. Corniced pediment; carved Preston armorial panel in tympanum; dated 1830. Maltese cross finial. Flanking doors; 4-pane fanlights; bipartite window to outer bay. Steps lead up to doors. Small bay set back to far right; central window.

SW ELEVATION: plain gable wall.

NW ELEVATION: 4 windows to centre and right; hoodmoulds. Plain, smaller window to right. Door to left; door to later bay to far left.

NE ELEVATION: plain wall; small wing advanced to centre right.

Replacement lattice glazing; chamfered stone mullions and transoms; chamfered margins. Large timber doors, raised panels. Pitched slate roof; corniced gable apex stacks and central ridge stack; polygonal clay cans.

INTERIOR: modernised circa 1980. Exposed stone to W gable wall.


Tall rubble wall to rear to E curves and continues to N as retaining wall with bank beyond. Tall rubble sandstone wall extends along roadside; terminating in square-plan ashlar piers; corniced coping stones. Out-house attached to E. Low wall in front of The Endowment; metal railings; central gate.

Statement of Interest

Formerly listed as The Valleyfield Endowment. Sir Robert Preston established an endowment to provide a weekly allowance in their homes, of meal and money to 6 old men and 6 old women (Duncan). This building was connected to the endowment and became a soup kitchen. By the early 19th century it had become a scout hall with scoutmaster's house and was derelict by 1979.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.