This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0582 / 56°3'29"N
Longitude: -3.6216 / 3°37'17"W
OS Eastings: 299117
OS Northings: 686226
OS Grid: NS991862
Mapcode National: GBR 1R.Q8BK
Mapcode Global: WH5QP.BZPL
Plus Code: 9C8R395H+79
Entry Name: Stables And House, Culross Abbey House, Culross
Listing Name: Culross, Culross Abbey House Policies, Stables and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 2 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396295
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48804
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages
Traditional County: Fife
Later-late 19th century. 2-storey, 4-bay, rectangular-plan stables and house. Forestair; dormer windows. Tooled rubble sandstone; ashlar quoins and margins.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: advanced forestair from left at 3rd bay; stone balustrade; ashlar coping stones. 1st floor door; round-headed dormerhead breaking eaves; 2 1st floor dormers to left of door, 1 to right; pitched dormerheads breaking eaves to windows. 2 ground floor windows to right; narrow horizontal vent to right. Half-arch beneath forestair; 2 further vents to right of forestair; door to far right.
E ELEVATION: plain gable elevation.
S ELEVATION: ground floor window to right; door to left; 1st floor bipartite dormer window breaking eaves above ground floor window; stone mullion. Left of elevation partially seen, 2001. Door to left; 2 1st floor dormer windows breaking eaves; pitched dormerheads to windows. 2 vents to left blocked up.
W ELEVATION: plain gable wall at 1st floor; ground floor not seen, 2001.
Replacement timber glazed door to N; timber boarded doors to S. 12-pane timber sash and case windows with horns. Pitched, slate roof, laid in diminishing courses; crowstepped gables. Coped gable apex stacks; ridge stack off-centre to E.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2001.
Square-plan gatepiers to S of E gable; pyramidal coping stones; short section of wall connects gatepier to building.
B-Group with Culross Abbey House, Culross Abbey House Policies, Garden House and East and West Lodges. Although not seen, the ground floor to the W contains the (now redundant) stables with timber partitions and stone floor, 2001. Flatted accommodation above the stables, reached by the forestair and separate house accommodation in the E of the building, accessed by the
S door. Access to the stables is reached by the left door in the S elevation. Some stone paviers remain in the rear yard. There are also roofless remains of buildings in the yard, behind the stables. The building is not depicted on the 1860 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, however it is shown on the 1922 Ordnance Survey map. The crowstepped gables and forestair echo features which are common to many of the 17th and 18th century houses of Culross.
Other nearby listed buildings