History in Structure

School, Low Causeway, Culross

A Category C Listed Building in Culross, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.055 / 56°3'18"N

Longitude: -3.6299 / 3°37'47"W

OS Eastings: 298593

OS Northings: 685883

OS Grid: NS985858

Mapcode National: GBR 1R.QDGZ

Mapcode Global: WH5QW.62RG

Plus Code: 9C8R394C+23

Entry Name: School, Low Causeway, Culross

Listing Name: Culross, 1C, 2C, 3C, 4C Sandhaven Including Outhouse and Garden Wall

Listing Date: 19 December 1979

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 359891

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB24043

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200359891

Location: Culross

County: Fife

Town: Culross

Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages

Traditional County: Fife

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


Later-late 19th century, incorporating decorative architectural fragments. 2-storey and attic L-plan building, former school, now 4 flats. Tooled rubble; ashlar margins, eaves course and quoins. Chamfered window surrounds to NW; chamfered door surrounds to SW.

NW ELEVATION: gable to left; base course. Central bipartite ground floor and 1st floor window; louvred attic opening; curvilinear pediment with flanking scrolls and fleur-de-lis in tympanum and finial. Consoles to gable. Wing set back to right. Door to left; narrow fanlight; moulded pediment inserted above; flanking scrolls; quatrefoil finial; initials WS BG in tympanum, dated 1612 below. 3 ground floor windows to right of door. 2 1st floor dormer windows; (bipartite to left). Single storey piended extension set back to far right; door to left; window to right.

NE ELEVATION: 2 ground floor windows to left; bipartite window to right; blocked door to far right. 1st floor dormer window to left; possible blocked door to left. Tripartite dormer window to right.

SE ELEVATION: 4 ground floor windows; bipartite dormer window to left; 2 dormer windows to right. Gable to far right; ground floor window to left; bipartite window to right. 2 1st floor windows; central attic window. Single storey extension to far left; plain elevation.

SW ELEVATION: gable end to right; central ground floor window; 2 inserted pediments at 1st floor; triangular decoration to left pediment; scrolls to right. Central attic ventilation slit. Single storey extension advanced to right; central window. Section set back to left; 2 doors; bipartite dormer window above.

2-leaf panelled door to flat 1C; replacement doors elsewhere. 2-leaf timber sash and case windows with horns. Rooflights to single storey extension. Pitched slate roofs; piended dormers and single storey extension. Timber bargeboard to NW gable; ashlar coping to SW gable. Corniced able apex stack to NW; coped gable apex stack to SW; replacement gable apex stack to SE; wallhead stack to SE; circular cans.

INTERIOR: modernised interiors.


Lean-to SE; exposed rubble walls; door in NE; window to SE; tooled quoins; slight chamfer to NE quoin; slate roof. Rubble garden wall; ashlar coping stones bounds garden to SE.

Statement of Interest

Formerly listed as House (N Seath, J Fotheringham, Miss F Scotland, Beveridge) Low Causeway, South Side, East of Sandhaven House. The building depicted on the 1860 map is of a different shape to the present building and was probably replaced or altered to create 1C-4C Sandhaven. This building is said to have been the Penny School, which may be the Old Parochial School mentioned by Cunningham. In 1896, the school merged with Janet Davidson's school (which had been built to replace the Geddes School). The building was later turned into a house and then into flats in the 1960's by the council. The inserted pediments on the SW elevation, which are similar to those at Culross Palace, possibly come from the earlier building. The pediment on the NW gable is similar to those at West Green, The House and the Palace. The garden wall was part of the sea wall which extends southeast and north-eastwards bounding the gardens of the adjacent houses. Prior to the reclamation of the Sandhaven in the late 19th century, the Firth of Forth extended up to this point.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.