History in Structure

Bishops' Palace, Castle Street, Dornoch

A Category B Listed Building in Dornoch, Highland

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 57.8798 / 57°52'47"N

Longitude: -4.0299 / 4°1'47"W

OS Eastings: 279717

OS Northings: 889619

OS Grid: NH797896

Mapcode National: GBR J7FW.SX2

Mapcode Global: WH4DN.268M

Plus Code: 9C9QVXHC+W2

Entry Name: Bishops' Palace, Castle Street, Dornoch

Listing Name: Castle Street Dornoch Castle (Castle Hotel) and Garden Wall

Listing Date: 18 March 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 360655

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB24636

Building Class: Cultural

Also known as: Dornoch, Castle Street, Bishops' Palace

ID on this website: 200360655

Location: Dornoch

County: Highland

Town: Dornoch

Electoral Ward: East Sutherland and Edderton

Traditional County: Sutherland

Tagged with: Castle

Find accommodation in


Circa 1500, substantially rebuilt after 1570 fire at which

date upper part of tower with angle bartizans built,

extensive alterations and additions 1813-14 and 1880. Rubble-

built, techniques varying at different periods, some ashlar

dressings. 5-storey tower (formerly SW tower of castle

complex) with stair turret at SE door at base of turret with roll-moulded architrave; some windows enlarged in 19th

century; corbelled angle bartizans unusually deepl

projecting at SW possibly with mutilated carved stone at

base of corbelling and reset in 19th century recasting;

gabletted crowsteps. coped apex stacks. Prior to 1813 tower

linked to 1, 2 and 3-storey ranges of which that part of the

S facing raised 2-storey range with the large 16th century

stack (to serve vaulted kitchens) survives. 1813-14 castle

adapted to use as court, possible lower part of block

attached to S gable of tower added and Gothic door added

opening onto terrace, parts of courtyard to N demolished.

Circa 1880 NS facing range and SW block raised and gabletted

dormers inserted; conical roofed stair turret on N face

possible added at this date; 3-storey E tower probably 1880s.

Roofs slated.

Interior: little of note remains; vaulted ground floor, some

16th/17th moulded doorpieces, vestiges of nook shafts,

possibly supporting earlier fireplace canopy; later 18th

century chimneypiece.

Statement of Interest

Originally episcopal palace gifted by Bishop Robert Stewart

to John, 11th Earl of Sutherland in 1557. Dated 1814 with

arms Duchess/Countess of Sutherland. Used in 19th century

as jail, court house and school. By 1881 "refitted and

refurbished as quaint dwelling place for English sportsmen".

Became hotel in 1947.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.