This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.8798 / 57°52'47"N
Longitude: -4.0299 / 4°1'47"W
OS Eastings: 279717
OS Northings: 889619
OS Grid: NH797896
Mapcode National: GBR J7FW.SX2
Mapcode Global: WH4DN.268M
Entry Name: Castle Street Dornoch Castle (Castle Hotel) and Garden Wall
Listing Date: 18 March 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 360655
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB24636
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: East Sutherland and Edderton
Traditional County: Sutherland
Circa 1500, substantially rebuilt after 1570 fire at which
date upper part of tower with angle bartizans built,
extensive alterations and additions 1813-14 and 1880. Rubble-
built, techniques varying at different periods, some ashlar
dressings. 5-storey tower (formerly SW tower of castle
complex) with stair turret at SE door at base of turret with roll-moulded architrave; some windows enlarged in 19th
century; corbelled angle bartizans unusually deepl
projecting at SW possibly with mutilated carved stone at
base of corbelling and reset in 19th century recasting;
gabletted crowsteps. coped apex stacks. Prior to 1813 tower
linked to 1, 2 and 3-storey ranges of which that part of the
S facing raised 2-storey range with the large 16th century
stack (to serve vaulted kitchens) survives. 1813-14 castle
adapted to use as court, possible lower part of block
attached to S gable of tower added and Gothic door added
opening onto terrace, parts of courtyard to N demolished.
Circa 1880 NS facing range and SW block raised and gabletted
dormers inserted; conical roofed stair turret on N face
possible added at this date; 3-storey E tower probably 1880s.
Interior: little of note remains; vaulted ground floor, some
16th/17th moulded doorpieces, vestiges of nook shafts,
possibly supporting earlier fireplace canopy; later 18th
Originally episcopal palace gifted by Bishop Robert Stewart
to John, 11th Earl of Sutherland in 1557. Dated 1814 with
arms Duchess/Countess of Sutherland. Used in 19th century
as jail, court house and school. By 1881 "refitted and
refurbished as quaint dwelling place for English sportsmen".
Became hotel in 1947.
Other nearby listed buildings