History in Structure

Chimney, Baltic Works, 28 Annfield Street, Dundee

A Category B Listed Building in Dundee, Dundee

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.4579 / 56°27'28"N

Longitude: -2.9915 / 2°59'29"W

OS Eastings: 338993

OS Northings: 729969

OS Grid: NO389299

Mapcode National: GBR Z7K.MZ

Mapcode Global: WH7RB.0YR5

Plus Code: 9C8VF255+5C

Entry Name: Chimney, Baltic Works, 28 Annfield Street, Dundee

Listing Name: 28 Annfield Road, Baltic Works, Chimney and Former Mill

Listing Date: 18 May 1987

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 361046

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB24927

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200361046

Location: Dundee

County: Dundee

Town: Dundee

Electoral Ward: West End

Traditional County: Angus

Tagged with: Chimney Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


Pearce Brothers, Lilybank Foundry, 1872 Mill. Chimney
stalk 1864.
a. 1864 chimney, prominent landmark, octagonal red
brick with white brick dog-legs and iron tie bands
broached above a tall polychrome brick corniced
pedestal with ashlar roll-moulding and broaches.
b. 1872 engine house and mill (original 8-bay section
with iron roof only). 8 N-lit sheds with rubble W
elevation having 3 half-piended roofs. 5 sheds to N
have been extended to W by 33' to a harled brick wall.
S elevation rubble with sliding doors–some original,
some blocked. E elevation harled brick with wooden
boarding fronting iron trusses, allowing for planned
extension which was never built. Saw-toothed slated
N-lit roofs.
Interior: superb traceried gothic cast-iron spans with
elaborate crossbeams at E to support pulleys for rope
drives. Columns are double-bracketted with bell
capitals. Tall rubble engine house has 2 roundheaded
windows to S, blank E and W elevations and blocked
panel at N for ropes. Interior: later concrete floor
inserted. Large timber roof beams and cast-iron hooks.
windows. W mansard gable with flat-topped finial,

Statement of Interest

Listing excludes steel-tie asbestos roofed additions of

1933 and 1955 to N and S of original mill, office,

boiler house, canteen and 1864 power loom factory with

corbelled front to Hawkhill. The chimney is one of the

earliest octagonal stalks in Dundee and a rare survivor

in W Dundee. Top cornice removed in 1987.

The mill was one of the first in Dundee to be driven by

ropes, as opposed to traditional gearing. The elaborate

iron roofs are matched only in Camperdown Works.

Built for Mitchell and Graham, but owned by Hardie and

Smith from 1880 to 1983, a subsidiary of A and S Henry

from 1917 and of the Titaghur Jute Factory Co Ltd from

1972. Now used by Halley Stevenson, dyers, with plant

from Lawside Dyeworks and a 5-bowl hydraulic calender

from Brechin.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.