History in Structure

Taybank Works, 62 Arbroath Road, Dundee

A Category B Listed Building in Maryfield, Dundee

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.469 / 56°28'8"N

Longitude: -2.9536 / 2°57'13"W

OS Eastings: 341344

OS Northings: 731175

OS Grid: NO413311

Mapcode National: GBR ZCR.W1

Mapcode Global: WH7RB.LNQM

Plus Code: 9C8VF29W+JH

Entry Name: Taybank Works, 62 Arbroath Road, Dundee

Listing Name: 62 Arbroath Road, Taybank Works (Old Powerloom Factory, Calender and 3-STOREY Mill Only, Tay Weavers Ltd)

Listing Date: 18 May 1987

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 361051

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB24931

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200361051

Location: Dundee

County: Dundee

Town: Dundee

Electoral Ward: Maryfield

Traditional County: Angus

Find accommodation in


Circa 1860-1 power loom factory, extended to N by 7 bays and a 3-bay calender in 1919-21, and 3-storey mill, latter by Pearce Brothers, Lilybank Foundry, 1873.

a. Power loom factory, single-storey on corner of Morgan Street and Arbroath Road. S elevation 9 top-hopper windows set in corbelled recessed bays. W elevation 7-bay, 3 at S circa 1860 double-pitched roofs with bipartite roundheaded sash and case windows in gables. 4 bays to N added 1919-21, angled N-lit roofs, except N dressing bay, with keystoned oculi. E elevation 7-bay, first 5 with 1860 bipartites similar to W elevation, 2 altered to N-lit in 1919-21. 6th bay 2- storey gable with hoist. Slate roofs with long N-facing skylights, later ventilators. 7th bay and 2-storey section of 6th bay are lit to N and S and have louvred ridge ventilators for steam dressing.

b. Calender adjoining to N 1921 3 taller angled N-lit gables with oculi, 8 tall windows and original loading bay in W elevation.

c. Jute spinning mill (excluding 1-storey parts). 1873 2-storey and attic 8-by 3-bay mill. S elevation 8 bay, with 2 ground floor windows altered. Attic-level band course and main cornice. 8-pane top-hopper fenestration altered for toilets. 2 large blocked roundheaded windows, lit engine house which extends to N, 2-storey with piended roof. N elevation 6-bay, open at ground floor. E gable brick allowing for planned but unbuilt 7-bay extension. Wooden boarding covers cast-iron roof truss. Cast iron fire escape. Mansard slate roof with continuous skylights to N and S.

Interiors: a. Power loom factory, 6 rows of cast-iron columns carrying in 3 S bays collar beam roofs, plastered for fireproofing, original multi-raftered skylights. Wrought iron ties with ogee bosses. Shouldered arched recesses in W wall. Standard N-lit timber roof trusses to N, with small concrete-floored 2-storey section, 7th bay contains double dressing machine, 1919-21, 1 of a pair.

b. Calender. 2 rows of tall cast-iron columns carry 3 wide-span timber roofs. Mezzanine timber floor on short cast-iron columns and steel beams for light finishing machines forms U around heavy machinery. Large 5-bowl calender, complete with arms, weights and overhead shafting by Robertson and Orchar, 1921, 1 of a pair.

c. Mill: fireproof, 2 rows of cast-iron columns carry cast-iron beams, wrought-iron ties and brick arches. Ground floor columns replaced by steel and concrete pillars. Engine House and rope race has had floor inserted but retains hooks in boarded ceiling and batching tanks. Superb curvilinear traceried gothic cast-iron roof spans with further traceried beams at W end to receive rope drives and lift.

Statement of Interest

List excludes all the structures N and E of the mill, and the circa 1960 steel-framed brick buildings. The original weaving factory has an unusual form of semi-fireproof construction. Shafting was under the floor. The mill has the finest cast-iron roof spans in the city. The 1919-21 extension is listed primarily because of the machines they contain. The calender is statutorily listed. It, with the larger calender at Camperdown Works, is the only such Dundee machine to retain its arms, levers and weights and is unique in remaining exactly in its original position

driven by pulleys and line shafts. Other cropping, cutting, sewing and finishing machines are of interest but not listed. Dormer looms modern. Originally called Lilybank Factory, founded circa 1840, renamed Taybank Works circa 1860 by Storrier Brough and Co. Bought 1917 by SCWS to supply their own needs. Now (1986) the only working jute weaving factory in Dundee.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.