History in Structure

Panmure Shipyard, Marine Parade, Dundee

A Category B Listed Building in Dundee, Dundee

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.4601 / 56°27'36"N

Longitude: -2.9603 / 2°57'36"W

OS Eastings: 340921

OS Northings: 730187

OS Grid: NO409301

Mapcode National: GBR ZC0.ZJ

Mapcode Global: WH7RB.HWKG

Plus Code: 9C8VF26Q+2V

Entry Name: Panmure Shipyard, Marine Parade, Dundee

Listing Name: Marine Parade, Former Panmure Shipyard, (WM R Stewart and Sons)

Listing Date: 2 November 1989

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 361070

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB24952

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200361070

Location: Dundee

County: Dundee

Town: Dundee

Electoral Ward: Maryfield

Traditional County: Angus

Tagged with: Shipyard

Find accommodation in


2-storey brick-built shipyard workshops, later 19th century, perhaps rebuilt after 1869 fire, extended early 20th century.

Long range aligned N-S between Victoria Dock and the Tay, 7 N-most bays whitewashed. S part of the block heightened from 1 to 2-storey. Single-storey rear: short N-lights to N, long double-pitched roof to S.

ELEVATION TO VICTORIA DOCK: Piended gable to workshops. 3-storey office extended from 3 to 5 bays, oriel at right . Ground floor slated awning on timber brackets added circa 1970.

Slate roof with 2 dividing walls; most windows segmental-arched 8-pane top-hoopers, 4 later enlarged. Sash and case windows, 4-pane glazing pattern, to office.

INTERIOR: timber floor on cast-iron columns. Steel roof trusses to single-storey parts. Office timber stair balusters and decorative collar-beam roof (perhaps recently embellished?)

Statement of Interest

Panmure shipbuilding yard, founded circa 1840, was occupied first by David Calman and then by Alexander Stephen and Sons, who came to Dundee in 1844. Stephens built 168 vessels, both timber and iron, including the LOCHEE, the BEAR, and the EASTERN MONARCH. Portable covers, an Admiralty device, were used, and the first auxiliary screws were put into whaling vessels. In 1894 after the death of William Stephen, the yard was taken on by the Dundee Shipbuilders Co Ltd, who constructed RRS DISCOVERY, and from 1906 the Dundee Shipbuilding Co Ltd. Closed circa 1940.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.