History in Structure

18 Chandlers Lane, Dundee

A Category A Listed Building in Dundee, Dundee

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.46 / 56°27'36"N

Longitude: -2.9606 / 2°57'38"W

OS Eastings: 340901

OS Northings: 730179

OS Grid: NO409301

Mapcode National: GBR ZC0.ZG

Mapcode Global: WH7RB.HWFJ

Plus Code: 9C8VF26Q+2Q

Entry Name: 18 Chandlers Lane, Dundee

Listing Name: 2-26 (even nos) Chandlers Lane and Patent Slip, Dundee

Listing Date: 2 November 1989

Last Amended: 1 June 2023

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 407573

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB24957

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200407573

Location: Dundee

County: Dundee

Town: Dundee

Electoral Ward: Maryfield

Traditional County: Angus


Built 1837 by harbour engineer, James Leslie, 2-26 (even nos) Chandlers Lane and patent slip is a two-storey range of former harbour workshops (historically used for ship haulage and repair, with a saw-mill, smithy, and rigging-loft) and the remains of the northeastern extent of the patent slip (a marine railway used for ship repair). The warehouse range was extended to the north with a semi-bowed end around 1850 (slightly lower in height and depth to the rear). Originally part of Panmure Shipyard, and from 1882 the Arctic Tannery. An L-plan wing was added to the sea front in around 1870 (now removed) with a low boundary wall. The former workshop range was converted to residential housing in around 2006. The patent slip was truncated, and new housing added to the surrounding area to form a partially enclosed residential estate.

The principal (east) elevation along Chandlers Lane is 21-bays wide (15 bays, extended to the north by 6 bays around 1850). There is a tall, squared, brick-built chimney with wrought iron tie-bands rising from a rubble-built base. There are two segmental-arched cart-entrances, one now infilled with glazing (2023) and the other roughly central within the range. The north, bowed extension is three storeys high and within the same eaves-line. The rear (west) elevation has four wide elliptical-arched openings to the right of the central cart-entrance with ashlar voussoirs (now infilled with glazing). The former rectangular-plan openings to the rear of the 1850 north extension have been infilled with timber cladding and glazing.

The windows are replacements throughout, sash and case frames in a variety of sizes and in a mixture of multi-pane glazing patterns. The 1850 extension to the north has small square windows at first floor level. There are three chimneystacks, two wallhead and one apex.

The piended roof is covered in slates with replacement piended dormer windows, predominantly grouped in pairs. There are some single rooflights in both roof pitches of the north extension.

Low sea protection wall, rubble-built.

The patent slip was largely infilled from the mid-20th century and only a small section now remains, ashlar sides and paved with 21st century metal railings and pedestrian steps leading to ground level.

Statement of Interest

The site was redeveloped for housing in around 2006. The only surviving historic structures are the former warehouse range along Chandlers Lane and the eastern part of the patent slip, which now forms part of a residential courtyard. The patent slip (or marine railway) historically had a 15 hp steam engine which could haul vessels up to 800 tons in weight out of the water onto a slipway. The tidal harbour to the west was gradually infilled from the early 1960s onwards to make way for the Tay Road Bridge (opened 1966).

Statutory address and listed building record revised in 2023. Previously listed as 'MARINE PARADE, HARBOUR WORKSHOPS AND PATENT SLIP'.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.