History in Structure

7-25 Bank Street, Dundee

A Category B Listed Building in Dundee, Dundee

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.4613 / 56°27'40"N

Longitude: -2.972 / 2°58'19"W

OS Eastings: 340199

OS Northings: 730325

OS Grid: NO401303

Mapcode National: GBR Z9Q.LF

Mapcode Global: WH7RB.BV0L

Plus Code: 9C8VF26H+G5

Entry Name: 7-25 Bank Street, Dundee

Listing Name: 7-25 (Odd Nos) Bank Street

Listing Date: 4 February 1965

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 361073

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB24954

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200361073

Location: Dundee

County: Dundee

Town: Dundee

Electoral Ward: Maryfield

Traditional County: Angus

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


Charles Edward, 1859; extended by Charles Ower senior 1864 and 1870; further extended by Charles and Leslie Ower 1874, 1883 and 1889. 4-storey, 24-bay, classically-detailed former offices and printing works of Dundee Courier and Advertiser, arranged in four 5-bay sections with single window linking and flanking bays. Ashlar, rubble to rear, grey slate roof. Channelled ground floor, cornice to 1st and 2nd floors with balustraded window aprons, bracketted wallhead cornice, balustraded parapet with dies. Architraved windows, corniced at 1st and 2nd floors with pediments to centre bays of each section and at

linking and right flanking bay, section to left has all windows pedimented at 1st floor and segmentally-pedimented at 2nd. Linking bays very slightly advanced with rusticated quoins. 4-pane timber sash and case windows, mostly 12-pane to rear.

FRONT ELEVATION: doorcase to far left with consoled and keystoned lintel (John Leng and Co monogram at keystone), 4 further doors and 19 windows to ground floor, 24 windows to upper floors (bipartite at 3rd floor far left). 3 decorative metal pendant lamp brackets.

REAR ELEVATION: 4-storey, 12-bay section to left; original elevation slightly recessed at 3 lower floors, 4th-7th bays from left. Basically symmetrical with 12 windows to all floors; bipartite window and corbelled, conically roofed angle window to attic at left. 5-storey, 6-bay section to right, symmetrical with 6 windows to all floors. Lower 5-storey, 6-bay section to far right, symmetrical with 6 windows to all floors; square-section chimney stalk rising from angle at right with corniced brick upper stage.

INTERIOR: not seen.

Statement of Interest

Sir John Leng pioneered illustrated daily newspapers from these premises. The building forms a stylistically similar, continuous frontage with 5 Bank Street, also listed. The rear elevation faces the Howff, also listed. The upper floors were converted to flats in 1994.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.