History in Structure

Tay Works, 2 Lochee Road, Dundee

A Category A Listed Building in Dundee, Dundee

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.4622 / 56°27'43"N

Longitude: -2.979 / 2°58'44"W

OS Eastings: 339768

OS Northings: 730432

OS Grid: NO397304

Mapcode National: GBR Z8Z.0K

Mapcode Global: WH7RB.6TNX

Plus Code: 9C8VF26C+V9

Entry Name: Tay Works, 2 Lochee Road, Dundee

Listing Name: 2 Lochee Road, Tay Works

Listing Date: 4 February 1965

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 361168

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25030

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200361168

Location: Dundee

County: Dundee

Town: Dundee

Electoral Ward: West End

Traditional County: Angus

Tagged with: Mill building

Find accommodation in


Gilroy Brothers' Engineering Department, 1851, 1863-5,
3- and 4-storey and attic 58-bay jute mill in 2 adjoining
pedimented blocks, coursed rubble with ashlar quoins and
dressings. Slate roofs.
S block by Joseph Lindsay (later of Urquhart, Lindsay and
Co) 1865; 3-storey and attic 23-bay mill. Advanced quoined
5-bay central section with channelled ashlar ground floor,
large segmental arched cart entrance with original ornate
wooden gates, bold voussoirs and keystone, and 2
roundheaded openings to each side. Band course. 1st floor
windows in margins with aprons and consoled pediments,
2 segmental 2nd floor windows in architraves with arched
shell heads. Large pediment with dentil cornice, carved
foliated tympanum, shield dated 1865 with cyphers of R,
G and A Gilroy and apex acroterion. 10-bay S wing with 2
advanced bays at end. Main cornice.
S elevation 3-bay gable end with large ground floor arched
door, now a window, 2 oculi and window in gable head over
cornice continuing from main elevation. Apex ball finial.
3-storey and attic. 7-bay extension along Guthrie Street
built between 1865 and 1871. W gable blank except doors
to the now demolished Arch Mill.
Section N of pediment, an 1865 rebuild of 1830s mill.
3-storey and attic, 8 bays including engine house at N
with consoled pediment over blocked window. 1st floor large
in architrave, formerly with round arched head.
N block 4-storey and attic 35-bay mill with 5-storey,
7-bay central section.
(a) South Mill, 1851, 14 bays including 2 advanced quoined
bays at each end. Cast-iron spandrels at ground floor of W
elevation formerly carried roof linking main block to
West Mill (25 Brown Street). Main cornice continued on S
gable cut by 1865 mill roof; attic sash and case window
and 2 oculi. Ball finial.
(b) 1863-4 5-storey, 7-bay "Centre Mill", with original
wooden framed segmental-headed windows. 2 1st floor hoist
doors. Main cornice. 4th floor windows divided by pilasters,
cornice above. Small pediment with Dundee arms. Square
plinth formerly, statue of Minerva. Acroteria and urns.
(c) North Mill, 1863-4, similar to 1851 South Mill. 3-bay
N gable elevation with ground floor adjoining Dudhope
Works. 2 oculi and window in gable head. Apex ball finial.
W elevation similar to E elevation, except that S block
lacks a pediment. Main engine house has tall round-headed
1st floor window over blocked consoled pedimented window
at ground floor. N block has simple oculus in pediment
with acroteria and urns. Ground floor of North Mill had
access to weaving sheds via large openings under cast-iron
lintels. 3 wooden boxes project at 2nd and 3rd floors for
hoists. All windows are original sash and case, multi-paned
in the main mill blocks and 4-paned in central sections,
except 2nd floor of S block which has later 2-paned sash
and case windows. 2 bipartite for offices. Occasional hoist
doors. Interior: each floor has 2 rooms of tall cast-iron
columns with flanged capitals carrying cast-iron beams
and brick arches with wrought-iron ties. Various internal
stairs, hoists, gearing rooms with wall-boxes, main engine
house has wooden floors, stairs and cast-iron features.
Attics have fine single-span wrought-iron tie roofs except
central section of N block which has perpendicular gothic
cast-iron trusses on 2 rows of clustered columns.

Statement of Interest

At 650', one of the longest textile mills in Britain. W

Boyack's works were founded in about 1833, becoming the

biggest flax works in Angus in 1836 but bankrupt in 1842.

In 1849 "Hospital Ward Mill" was bought and renamed "Tay

Works" by Gilroy Brothers and Co (Robert George and

Alexander - the RGA cypher in the 1865 pediment). Became

in 1877 Gilroy Sons and Co, the world's second biggest

jute manufacturers with plantations near Calcutta and their

own ships for jute imports. Specialised in jute carpeting

and so became the chief carpet works of Jute Industries

Ltd, 1920, with a large dyeworks on Brown Street. Converted

to student residences 1986.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.