History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Byron Street Ss Peter and Paul Rc Primary School, Janitors House and Play Shelter

A Category B Listed Building in Dundee, Dundee

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.4734 / 56°28'24"N

Longitude: -2.9804 / 2°58'49"W

OS Eastings: 339703

OS Northings: 731678

OS Grid: NO397316

Mapcode National: GBR Z8Q.J6

Mapcode Global: WH7RB.6K19

Entry Name: Byron Street Ss Peter and Paul Rc Primary School, Janitors House and Play Shelter

Listing Date: 12 March 1993

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 361200

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25058

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dundee

County: Dundee

Town: Dundee

Electoral Ward: Coldside

Traditional County: Angus

Find accommodation in
Dundee

Description

W W Friskin (Allan and Friskin) 1930. 2-storey school, brick-built with concrete bands and some Romanesque details, designed to group with church.

S ELEVATION: MAIN CLASSROOM BLOCK: 2-storey, 3 broad central bays with 3 windows at ground floor and 6-light window bands above between 4 narrow pilastered bays each end, simple piended roof. Slightly lower 2-storey entrance buildings overlap each end, round arched doorways with banded splays and tympanum and diamond paned oblong fanlights.

E STEPPED 2 AND 3-STOREY BLOCK: chamfered angled S elevation, 2-bays of 3 overarched lights with slim colonetes mullions and herringbone patterned tympanum, plain 3-light windows above, flat roof with railed parapet. 6 round-arched windows divided 3-3 by stepped chimney shaft above. Asymmetrically composed E front with single overarched 3-light window at 2-storey section and central chimney stack at 3-storey section. Staircases fronted by tall dark brick arches, and toilets stepped down to N. REAR: flat roofed corridors. Tall single-storey gabled hall single-storey range added in similar style to Patterson Street, 1934. Piended slate roofs, windows timber sash and case and metal hopper, 2, 4 and 6-pane glazing patterns.

INTERIOR: corridor plan, largely with original fitments. Tiled dados. Flat-ceilinged hall.

DETACHED JANITORS HOUSE: asymmetrical rectangular plan. Dark brick doorpiece with arched window over, overarched ground floor tripartite on E front with herringbone pattern tympanum.

PLAYSHELTER: flat cantilevered reinforced concrete roof on mushroom pillar. Low brick boundary walls with concrete coping and steel railings.

Statement of Interest

Church and school form interesting example of Catholic taste of the period. The design may be based on scheme by Fairlie.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.