This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.4614 / 56°27'40"N
Longitude: -2.9686 / 2°58'7"W
OS Eastings: 340408
OS Northings: 730335
OS Grid: NO404303
Mapcode National: GBR ZB1.NQ
Mapcode Global: WH7RB.CVMH
Plus Code: 9C8VF26J+HH
Entry Name: Clydesdale Bank, 94-6 High Street, Dundee
Listing Name: 94, 96 High Street/52, 54 Commercial Street, Clydesdale Bank
Listing Date: 4 February 1965
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 361437
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25251
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Maryfield
Traditional County: Angus
William Spence, 1876. 2- and 3-storey, triangular-plan, Renaissance-detailed bank, built on falling ground island site at
the E terminus of High Street. Cream ashlar sandstone, concealed roof. Base course, giant Corinthian pilasters and entablature to High Street elevations, corniced shopfronts and continuous cill band to 2nd floor at Commercial Street elevation, corniced and coped parapet, balustraded at front elevation with statue of Britannia and lion; 2-pane timber sash and case windows, colonetted with segmental pediments at ground floor High Street and 1st floor Commercial Street, architraved at
upper floor with consoled cornices at High Street.
FRONT ELEVATION (truncated apex of triangle facing down High Street): 3-bay; 2-storey principal bay advanced to centre with angle pilasters and open segmental pediment, window to 1st floor, segmental return bays with single windows to ground and 1st floor; pilastered entrance porch advanced to ground floor, moulded doorcase with acanthus leaf splays, entablature and balustraded parapet, round-headed pilastered windows to
returns with mask keystones; narrow bays recessed to left and right with shell niches containing draped female figures.
S HIGH STREET ELEVATION: 5-bay, windowheads to basement with decorative cast-iron grilles, door to ground floor left, 4 windows to right,
5 windows to 1st floor.
N HIGH STREET ELEVATION: 4-bay, windowheads to basement with decorative cast-iron grilles, 4 windows to ground and 1st floor.
COMMERCIAL STREET ELEVATION: 3-storey, 7-bay with 3-bay rounded angles; modern shopfronts to ground floor, 7 windows to 1st and 2nd floors,
3 windows to 1st and 2nd floors and angles with cartouche at parapet.
INTERIOR: 2-storey banking hall with later gallery mezzanine, Corinthian columns, corniced doorpieces with panelled doors, richly moulded decorative cornices, coved ceiling with large glass dome, decorative stained glass windows depicting allegorical classical figures, windows have corniced parapets and panelled reveals.
Although the west elevation of the bank now faces down the High Street, it was originally masked by the earlier Trades Hall (Samuel Bell, 1776), which was latterly used as the Clydesdale Bank. Much of the original ornament on the stonework as shown on early photographs was removed in the early 20th century.
Other nearby listed buildings