This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4575 / 56°27'27"N
Longitude: -2.9806 / 2°58'50"W
OS Eastings: 339662
OS Northings: 729919
OS Grid: NO396299
Mapcode National: GBR Z8R.M7
Mapcode Global: WH7RB.5YXG
Entry Name: Off Perth Road, Geddes Quadrangle, Harris Building, University of Dundee
Listing Date: 4 February 1965
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 361480
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25281
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: West End
Traditional County: Angus
Rowand Anderson and Paul, 1913. 2-storey, with attic and 4-storey tower to rear, basically rectangular-plan, Scottish Renaissance-detailed engineering laboratory. Cream ashlar ground floor, red ashlar 1st floor and tower, snecked bull-faced pink rubble to rear, cream ashlar dressings, slate platform roof, finialled ogival roof to tower. Base course, band course at 1st floor front elevation, moulded wallhead course, corbelled eaves, rusticated quoins. Architraved windows to front with cill panels and cornices to 1st floor, 12-pane sash and case frames, segmental windows to ground floor, various multi-pane windows to rear; architraved windows with segmental pediments to upper stage of tower. Cast-iron rainwater goods with some moulded hoppers.
S (FRONT) ELEVATION: 4 bays slightly recessed to centre with windows to ground and 1st floor; 2-bay pavilion slightly advanced to right, doorpiece with 2-leaf panelled door, moulded doorcase, richly decorated and sculpted coat of arms above with moulded cornice, paired windows to left, 2 windows to 1st floor (stair window to left being balustraded and pedimented); similar pavilion to left with 2 windows to ground and 1st floor.
W ELEVATION: door to right, 3 windows to left, 2 small and 2 large windows to 1st floor.
E ELEVATION: ground floor masked by E wing of quad and former boiler house; 3 windows to 1st floor, further window to recessed bay at right.
REAR ELEVATION: tower slightly advanced to centre, window to ground and 1st floor right, paired windows to 2nd floor, window to each elevation at top of 2nd stage, corniced wallhead and parapet; 4 bays slightly recessed to left with door and various windows, curvilinear window breaking through wallhead to right; 2 bays to right with windows and similar curvilinear window; further bay to far right with segmental door and window, tripartite window to 1st floor with pediment breaking
INTERIOR: pilastered entrance hall with beamed ceiling and scale and platt staircase; remainder of building largely modernised.
The Harris Building was opened in 1913 as the New Engineering Laboratory. En-suite materially with the Carnegie Building by the same architects.
Other nearby listed buildings