History in Structure

Morgan Academy, Forfar Road, Dundee

A Category A Listed Building in Maryfield, Dundee

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.4746 / 56°28'28"N

Longitude: -2.9541 / 2°57'14"W

OS Eastings: 341325

OS Northings: 731790

OS Grid: NO413317

Mapcode National: GBR ZCN.46

Mapcode Global: WH7RB.LJHC

Plus Code: 9C8VF2FW+R9

Entry Name: Morgan Academy, Forfar Road, Dundee

Listing Name: Forfar Road, Morgan Academy, Main Block and Janitor's House, with Terrace, Boundary Walls and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 12 July 1963

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 361495

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25288

Building Class: Cultural

Also known as: Dundee, Forfar Road, Morgan Academy

ID on this website: 200361495

Location: Dundee

County: Dundee

Town: Dundee

Electoral Ward: Maryfield

Traditional County: Angus

Tagged with: School Former hospital

Find accommodation in


John Dick Peddie and Charles Kinnear, 1863-8, altered 1889 and enlarged 1913-15 by James H Langlands. School in manner of Flemish Gothic cloth hall commanding a triangular site. 2-storey symmetrical towered and gabled front; simpler 3-storey rear added 1913-15, coursed rubble with ashlar dressings, buttressed and 1st floor cill course.

S ELEVATION: central advanced 120 foot tower approached by steps with quatrefoil pierced balusters. Depressed-arched nook-shafted entrance under ogee hoodmould between angle buttresses. 1st floor mullioned and transomed window with traceried mouchettes over and spiral nookshafts at angles. Corbelled out angle turrets at 3rd stage linked by machicolated balcony over triple-light window and clock. Steep slate roof with 2-tier richly carved ashlar dormer, louvred traceried lantern with swept roof and lucarnes to each face. Conical fish-scale slate roof with weather vane to each turret. Flanking bays have oriels and crow-stepped gables. Cross windows with finialed dormer heads at 1st. Ends advanced, 3-light at ground, 2-light at 1st with traceried heads, crow-stepped gables topped by tall circular chimney stack.

SIDE ELEVATIONS: in similar style but asymmetrical at W with 3-storey French-roofed stair block. 3 1st floor pointed arched traceried window to former chapel at E elevation. Stair blocks with very tall windows and swept pavilion roofs added no N of each elevation, 1913-15, adjoining ends of classrooms with 2-tier attic and M-gable. Tall stacks.ventilator ducts.

N ELEVATION: symmetrical 3-storey, windows arranged 1-2-1 with gablet dormerheads to bipartites. Mullioned half-height mazzanine windows at crow-stepped ends. Advanced single storey toilet blocks demolished 1992. Art nouveau stamen type wrought-iron railings to ventilator intake. Slate roofs with wrought-iron brattishing (missing from E ridge, S front) and elaborate finials. Tall shafted stacks. Louvred fleche ventilators with lead facetted swept roofs and ornate finials. Flat roof to S of rear addition ("for geographical and scientific observations") with stamen-type railings. Top-hopper windows, vertical astragals removed from 1860s block. Original glazing pattern, mainley 8-pane top hoppers, to N elevation.

INTERIOR: corridors to courtyard elevations with timber partitions to classrooms in 1860s part, plastered walls to 1913 part. Mezzanine balconies now blocked. False ceiling in staff room, former chapel, obscures timber arched-braced roof. Gothic detailed war memorial in vestibule, Thomas and Wilkie, architects. Courtyard roofed to form hall in 1889 with graceful arched steel lattice roof, platform fitted 1913-15. Cantled bay from S block.

JANITOR'S HOUSE: 1863-6, raised from 1 to 2-storey in 1915. Rubble-built 3-bay, centre pointed arched hoodmoulded door, flanking bipartites with gablet dormerheads. Crowstepped gables and end stacks. Slate roof. TERRACE to front with quatrefoil pierced balustrades.

Low boundary wall. 4 square ashlar gatepiers, gates missing, to Stobswell gusset. Similar gatepiers at each end of terrace. Railings missing except at N part of Pitkerro Road, where the are Gothic cast and wrought iron

Statement of Interest

Originally the Morgan Hospital, founded by John Morgan of Balgay House, 1760-1850. Money made in India was to go towards the foundation of an institution modelled on Heriot's Hospital, Edinburgh. Completed after a legal wrangle and opened in February 1868. Reopened 1889 under the Dundee School Board as the Morgan Academy.

Large N extension 1991-92 by Tayside Regional Council Architects Department.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.