History in Structure

Former Gaelic Church, 5, 7, 9 Albert Square, Dundee

A Category B Listed Building in Dundee, Dundee

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.4622 / 56°27'43"N

Longitude: -2.9711 / 2°58'15"W

OS Eastings: 340258

OS Northings: 730424

OS Grid: NO402304

Mapcode National: GBR Z9T.WM

Mapcode Global: WH7RB.BTFX

Plus Code: 9C8VF26H+VH

Entry Name: Former Gaelic Church, 5, 7, 9 Albert Square, Dundee

Listing Name: 5-9 Meadowside or Albert Square, Former Gaelic Free Church or Albert Square Church

Listing Date: 30 March 1995

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 361530

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25316

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200361530

Location: Dundee

County: Dundee

Town: Dundee

Electoral Ward: Maryfield

Traditional County: Angus

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


David Mackenzie, 1868. 3-storey and attic, 6-bay former church converted to commercial use. Pinkish sandstone ashlar, snecked rubble to side and rear, slate roof. Band course to ground floor, cill course to 1st and 2nd floors, bracketted cornice and parapet with dies; outer bays, channelled angles to ground, rusticated quoins to upper floors. Segmental-arch windows with stilted architraves, large timber cross-windows to ground floor with pilastered jambs, 8-pane sash and case to 1st floor with aprons and consoled cornices, 6-pane to 2nd floor with consoled cornices of different design.

FRONT ELEVATION: outer bays slightly advanced with consoled and corniced doorpieces (door blocked for banking machine at right),

4 windows to centre bays; 6 windows to upper floors.

LEFT RETURN ELEVATION TO CHAPEL STREET: door to centre with keystoned round-headed doorcase and fanlight, pilastered and pedimented doorpiece, 9-pane top-hopper window to left and right flanked by small windows; round-headed window to 1st floor set in large recessed panel, 9-pane window to left and right; tripartite round-headed window to 2nd

floor with aprons and border glazing, 9-pane window to left and right; 2 keystoned segmental windows to attic.

REAR ELEVATION: 2 doors and windows to ground floor (further door and window blocked), 6 segmental windows to upper floors, 8-pane to 1st floor, 6-pane to 2nd.

INTERIOR: not seen.

Statement of Interest

No longer in ecclesiastical use; the congregation transferred to St Paul's, Nethergate. A pipe organ was installed in 1906 and there were considerable alterations in 1923-4. The ground floor was a hall, and the 1st and 2nd floors the galleried church which was floored over in 1959 for James Keiller and Son by Dick Peddie and McKay.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.