This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.0714 / 56°4'17"N
Longitude: -3.4587 / 3°27'31"W
OS Eastings: 309292
OS Northings: 687470
OS Grid: NT092874
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PGY1
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.VN6F
Entry Name: 1-3 (Odd Nos) East Port, Former Bank of Scotland
Listing Date: 19 December 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 362478
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26010
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
James T Scobie, 1911-12. 3-storey and attic and basement; rectangular-plan; terraced commercial building with angled corner bay at junction of East Port and New Row. Edwardian Baroque design with prominent keyblocks; broken-bed semicircular pediment to 1st floor window, swags and shaped parapet with central cartouche to corner bay. Polished sandstone ashlar principal (N and W) elevations; coursed rockfaced granite basement to New Row; red brick elsewhere. Granite ashlar base course to ground floor to New Row; ground floor cill course to both principal elevations; band course above ground floor; frieze above 2nd floor; mutuled eaves cornice. Round-arched windows with radiating keyblocks and moulded aprons to ground floor; architraved windows with radiating keyblocks, aprons and bracketed cornices to 1st floor; architraved windows with rectangular keyblocks and bracketed cills to 2nd floor; boxed dormers.
N (EAST PORT) ELEVATION: 3 bays, plus angled bay to outer right. Architraved entrances to outer left and outer right (angled bay). That to left has cornice and fanlight above with radiating keyblock; 2-leaf panelled timber door. That to angled bay has moulded architrave incorporating rusticated sides and keyblock; mutuled cornice surmounted by fanlight with concave reveals and radiating keyblock flanked by swags; flat bracketed hood adjoins keyblock; 2-leaf wrought-iron gates give onto vestibule with late 20th century glazed doorcase. Architraved 1st floor window with apron and radiating keyblock set within aedicule above; flanking columns with engaged rustication at bottom; deep semicircular broken-base mutuled pediment above; plaque at centre inscribed AD 1912. Projecting panel above adjoins cill of 2nd floor window. Short section of pediment above eaves; Scottish coat of arms and cornucopia to cartouche at centre; flanking concave sides, each with festoon; both terminating at pilasters with pendant garlands, surmounted by scrolls. Ground floor elevation between 2 entrances comprises 2 windows with garlanded oval panel to left. 1st and 2nd floor bays divided by pilaster strips; more prominent pilasters to outer left and outer right of 3 bays. Window to each bay to upper floors (including attic).
W (NEW ROW) ELEVATION: 4 bays (for angled bay to outer left see N Elevation). Single window to each bay to each floor except basement. 1st and 2nd floor bays divided by pilaster strips; more prominent pilasters to outer left and outer right. Pair of small window openings to right of basement (2nd pair to left blocked).
3-pane timber frame windows with central timber columns to ground floor; 2-pane timber sash and case windows to 1st and 2nd floors. Grey slate platform roof. Corniced ashlar wallhead stacks with friezes to S and E; one central stack; round cans.
INTERIOR: elaborate panelled plaster ceiling of classical design to main ground floor room. Staircase with wrough-iron balustrade and tiled dado to No 3 East Port.
B-Group with 5-7 East Port, including East Port Bar. A solid Edwardian Baroque building on a prominent corner site, notable for stylised classical detailing.
Other nearby listed buildings