This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.0715 / 56°4'17"N
Longitude: -3.4578 / 3°27'28"W
OS Eastings: 309347
OS Northings: 687475
OS Grid: NT093874
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PH4W
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.VNMD
Plus Code: 9C8R3GCR+HV
Entry Name: Bank, 25-27 East Port, Dunfermline
Listing Name: 25-27 (Odd Nos) East Port
Listing Date: 12 July 1985
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 362480
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26012
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
1873 (possibly by David MacGibbon). 2-storey and attic; 6-bay; rectangular-plan; semi-detached office building (possibly built as a bank). Scottish baronial design; asymmetrical with crowstepped gable and pedimented dormers. Coursed snecked rockfaced sandstone with stugged sandstone ashlar dressings and polished ashlar detailing. Base course; hood-moulded band courses over windows to ground and 1st floor (that to 1st floor gableted to centre of each lintel); eaves band with parapet above; all to principal (N) elevation. Chamfered cills and roll-moulded surrounds to individual openings to ground and 1st floor. Corniced lintels and semicircular pediments (with shield at centre) to dormers. Coped gables; angle quoins.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: shallow ashlar porch to principal entrance to outer right; round-arched doorway with carved spandrels and 2-leaf panelled timber door surmounted by cornice and cablemoulding with crowned head at centre; parapet with shouldered semicircular pediment bearing Burgh arms at centre; short flanking pilasters with ball finials. 3-light mullion window with deep lintel, recessed slightly under segmental arch. 4 bays to right set forward slightly; entrance with canted lintel and panelled timber door with fanlight to outer left; cablemoulded hood-mould incorporates panel over centre and is stopped at flanking carved heads. 3 round-arched windows with carved spandrels to right. Regularly fenestrated 1st floor; window to each bay. 2 bays to outer right set back slightly further from ground floor bays, except to centre/around windows which rises flush with ground floor to crowstepped gable with thistle finial; eaves band stepped up to centre of pediment over panel; flanking miniature semicircular pediments. 2 dormers to left section; projecting wallhead stack dated 'AD 1873' in between.
W ELEVATION: irregularly fenestrated. Band course at 1st floor cill level.
S ELEVATION: gabled dormers visible to attic; later harled gabled extension to left.
Replacement aluminium windows to ground floor to principal elevation; 4-pane timber sash and case windows above. Grey slate roof. Shouldered projecting wallhead stack corbelled out over 1st floor windows and with band course and moulded bracketed coping to N side; round cans with louvred vents; coped wallhead stacks with band courses to E and W sides; that to E is shouldered. Early rainwater goods with moulded heads to principal elevation.
INTERIOR: modernised ground floor. Dog-leg staircase with winders, cast iron balustrade and border-glazed stair window to No 27.
According to Bert McEwan the architect was David MacGibbon. This is quite likely, as MacGibbon was responsible for constructing a series of branches of the National Bank of Scotland in the 1860's and early 70's. It is not known if this was originally a branch of the National Bank, however it does bear some similarity to some of his other bank designs, such as the (former) National Bank at 25-29 New Market Street, Falkirk of 1862. David MacGibbon is well known for his co-authorship (with his partner, Thomas Ross) of a series of books on the 'Castellated and Domestic Architecture of Scotland'. The building retains and intact 1870's street frontage.
Other nearby listed buildings