This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0718 / 56°4'18"N
Longitude: -3.4571 / 3°27'25"W
OS Eastings: 309393
OS Northings: 687514
OS Grid: NT093875
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PH94
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.VNY3
Plus Code: 9C8R3GCV+P5
Entry Name: Orient Express Cinema, 44-46 East Port, Dunfermline
Listing Name: 44-46 (Even Nos) East Port, Robins Cinema
Listing Date: 13 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 362485
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26015
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
Crawford and Fraser, 1912-13; altered 1980's. 3-storey and basement; 3-bay; principal (S) elevation. Main auditoria block oriented N/S to rear (N). Classical design cinema with Art Deco detailing; pilastered principal elevation with thermal window above entrance canopy. Rendered and painted principal elevation with base course, band course at 2nd floor cill level, frieze decorated with raised diamond pattern and moulded eaves cornice. Architraved windows to principal elevation. Coped gables.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical arrangement. Wide central entrance bay. Steps up to entrance; pair of 2-leaf glazed timber doors with rectangular fanlights; flat canopy decorated with lozenges above; paired Art Deco glazed timber advertising cases mounted to either side. Thermal window above. Low 3-light window to 2nd floor; architrave punctuated by disks along lintel at junction with vertical members. Low basement windows, one to each of flanking outer bays. Tall round-arched stair window above to each side; architrave punctuated by disk motifs at springing points; oval embossed panel at base of cill and flanking outer panels with guttae below. Bays divided by tetrastyle arrangement of pilasters; disk motif set within cross as capital; flanking pendant bell-shaped beading. Harled shouldered gable end (formerly with lunette) set back.
Timber fixed light and casement windows to principal elevation. Leaded glass incorporating blue Art Deco style designs remains to stair windows and part of 2nd floor window to central bay. Grey slate roofs.
INTERIOR: remodelled when converted to 3 smaller auditoria in 1980's, (see notes).
An early purpose-built Art Deco cinema which is an important part of the streetscape. The only comparable examples of surviving early purpose-built cinemas were also built in 1913 - the Salon in Glasgow (by Baird and Lithgow) and the Picture House in Campbeltown (information from the Scottish Film Archive), both listed. The Cinema Theatre Association Scotland notes that the cinema opened in 1913 and it seated 711. They also note that the interior was removed in 2004 for the building's conversion to a nightclub which has since closed.
References and Notes updated as part of the Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.
Other nearby listed buildings