History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

1-7 (Inclusive Nos) Queen's Court, Former Commercial School

A Category B Listed Building in Dunfermline, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0709 / 56°4'15"N

Longitude: -3.456 / 3°27'21"W

OS Eastings: 309460

OS Northings: 687410

OS Grid: NT094874

Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PHK4

Mapcode Global: WH5QR.WNHT

Entry Name: 1-7 (Inclusive Nos) Queen's Court, Former Commercial School

Listing Date: 12 January 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 362486

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26016

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dunfermline

County: Fife

Town: Dunfermline

Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Dunfermline

Description

1816. 3-storey; 5-bay; rectangular-plan detached block with single-storey single bay wing to E. Built as schoolhouse; now converted to flats. Classical design with flanking Doric columns to main entrance. Harled exterior with droved sandstone ashlar dressings. Base course, moulded eaves band and chanelled angle quoins to principal (S) elevation. Architraved windows throughout.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: projecting central entrance bay. Entrance with ashlar surround and flanking engaged Doric columns supporting entablature; 6-panel timber door with replacement fanlight. Flat-lintelled Palladian window with false (blocked and painted) side lights. 2 windows to each floor set back to flanking bays. Single storey wing (probably schoolmaster's house) adjoins to right; single window.

N ELEVATION: window to each floor to each bay. One large and one small window to single-storey wing set back slightly to left.

E ELEVATION: entrance to single-storey wing to centre. Main block set back blank.

W ELEVATION: windows to centre to 1st and 2nd floors.

12-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended grey slate roofs. Coped wallhead stacks to either (E and W) sides; round cans.

INTERIOR: late 20th century staircase to centre. Individual flats not inspected (1998).

Statement of Interest

A purpose-built school. According to Chalmers it belonged (in 1845) to the fraternity of guildry and was under its patronage and management (presumably it was also built by the fraternity).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.