This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.071 / 56°4'15"N
Longitude: -3.4552 / 3°27'18"W
OS Eastings: 309505
OS Northings: 687418
OS Grid: NT095874
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PHQM
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.WNTR
Plus Code: 9C8R3GCV+CW
Entry Name: Gate Piers, Viewfield House, Dunfermline
Listing Name: East Port, Pair of Gatepiers to West of Carnegie Hall at Nt 0952 8751
Listing Date: 10 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394288
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46902
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
Early 19th century. Former entrance gateway to Viewfield House. Pair of square-plan gatepiers with classical frieze. Coursed sandstone rubble with polished sandstone ashlar outer (N) elevation and dressings. V-jointed masonry and festooned frieze to N elevation; triglyphs to frieze elsewhere. Frieze surmounted by moulded cornice/coping. Late 20th century timber gates. Sandstone rubble walls adjoin to either side; that to W has adjacent pedestrian entrance with droved ashlar surround; that to E has been greatly reduced in height.
B-Group with Viewfield Terrace, Nos 3-8 Viewfield House (see separate list description). Viewfield House was built for James Blackwood, Provost of Dunfermline, in around 1808.
Other nearby listed buildings