History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hawthorn Cottage, 29 Joppa Road, Edinburgh

A Category B Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9488 / 55°56'55"N

Longitude: -3.0999 / 3°5'59"W

OS Eastings: 331409

OS Northings: 673407

OS Grid: NT314734

Mapcode National: GBR 2C.YCJL

Mapcode Global: WH6SN.CQ3Y

Plus Code: 9C7RWWX2+G2

Entry Name: Hawthorn Cottage, 29 Joppa Road, Edinburgh

Listing Name: 29 Joppa Road (Hawthorn Cottage) Including Gateway and Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 14 March 1989

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 364005

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27052

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Portobello/Craigmillar

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Musselburgh

Description

Possibly circa 1860 with later alterations. Single storey 3-bay classical, symmetrical house with addition to rear. Finely droved ashlar with polished dressings, squared and snecked sandstone to side elevation and rear with droved dressings. Base course, cornice and blocking course.

N (PRINCIPAL, JOPPA ROAD) ELEVATION: 4 concrete steps with modern handrail up to central deep panelled door with rectangular plate glass fanlight above; rendered advanced doorpiece. Windows to flanking bays with later louvered shutters.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: single storey addition to outer left.

12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with droved ashlar and coped stacks (wallhead to E and mutual to W).

INTERIOR: decorative plasterwork including large ceiling rose to principal room; white marble chimneypiece. Shutters in place but not working.

GATEWAY AND BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble with coping to front. Pedimented pedestrian gateway with finials to gatepiers.

Statement of Interest

From the maps cited in the References, the house appears to have been added (some time after 1856) to a grouped pair of single storey houses which were built by 1824 and which are part of a feued piece of land known as Mount Pleasant. Stylistically the house looks earlier than circa 1860. The present owner believes that it was built for Provost Livingston (who died in 1867). The last owner was apparently

Mr Walford who designed St John's RC church, Brighton Place.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.