This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9548 / 55°57'17"N
Longitude: -3.1484 / 3°8'54"W
OS Eastings: 328389
OS Northings: 674123
OS Grid: NT283741
Mapcode National: GBR 8YD.RW
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.LLYC
Plus Code: 9C7RXV32+WJ
Entry Name: Hall, New Restalrig Church, Willowbrae Road, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 1 Willowbrae Road, New Restalrig Parish Church (Church of Scotland), with Hall and Retaining Wall
Listing Date: 10 April 1986
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364202
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27166
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Craigentinny/Duddingston
Traditional County: Midlothian
Arthur George Sydney Mitchell & George Wilson, 1891-2; HALL, George Niven, 1914 (extended 1977). Cruciform Scots Gothic church with lean-to aisles swept round to entrance porch, transepts to N and S, spired square-plan tower to NE. Basement containing church hall to N. Base course to S & W. Cill course to aisle windows. Hoodmoulds to pointed-arch openings. Snecked Corsehill stone; polished ashlar dressings.
W ELEVATION: cross-finialled projecting gabled porch to centre of lean-to narthex; 2-leaf timber-boarded door with decorative iron hinges in nook-shafted pointed-arched doorpiece; small trefoil-headed 2-light windows to flanking bays; crocketted finials to flanking buttresses; outer bays of lean-to narthex swept to meet aisles (lit by 3 trefoil-headed windows). 6-light window with geometric tracery to cross-finialled gable above.
TOWER: 5 stage tower. Recessed at 2nd and 3rd stages. Off centre boarded door to ground; various lights to lower stages. Tall louvred bipartite lancets to 5th stage; cill course belowCorbelled to balustrade with projecting spouts. Angle quoining to tower from 3rd storey up, and to windows. Weathervane to facetted, lucarned spire.
N ELEVATION: tower to outer left. Bays divided by butresses. Basement windows in segmental-arched recesses; 4 pointed-arched lights to each recess. 5-light Y-traceried window to N transept to left. Shouldered lancets to 4-bay lean-to aisle. 2-light pointed clerestorey windowswith y-tracery lighting nave above. Slightly advanced gabled porch to outer right: 2-leaf boarded door with decorative cast-iron hinges in round-arched hoodmoulded opening flanked by butresses.
S ELEVATION: shouldered lancets to 4-bay lean-to aisle. 2-light clerestorey windows with Y-tracery lighting nave above. 5-light Y-traceried window to S transept to right.
Graded grey slates; terracotta ridge tiles; red tiles to spire. Leaded lights to all windows. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative hoppers.
INTERIOR: braced collar-rafter ceiling. Full height paired pointed-arches to transepts. Pointed arches to aisles (4 bays). Modern pulpit, lectern and communion table on dais at E end.
CHURCH HALL: single storey hall with facetted piend-ended roof and slim, louvred, spired ventilator to centre of ridge. Modern extension to NW.
Occupies prominent corner site on roads from Edinburgh to Portobello and The South. Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Formerley Parson's Green Free Church. The Manse, also built by Sydney Mitchell, is situated at the top of Abercorn road. According to THE BUILDER, the church cost about ?5700 to build.
Other nearby listed buildings