This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9549 / 55°57'17"N
Longitude: -3.1477 / 3°8'51"W
OS Eastings: 328433
OS Northings: 674140
OS Grid: NT284741
Mapcode National: GBR 8YD.WT
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.ML97
Plus Code: 9C7RXV32+XW
Entry Name: Public House, 5 Piershill Place, Portobello Road, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 5-8 (Inclusive Numbers) Piershill Place
Listing Date: 19 December 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396554
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49045
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Craigentinny/Duddingston
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1850; N elevation of public house (Porters Bar) circa 1890. Terrace of three 2-storey, 3-bay houses with public house to ground floor. Painted coursed rubble with droved quoins to numbers 6-8, painted pebbledash to number 5. Basecourse. Regularly fenestrated to 1st floor. Bar front: frieze and cornice. Roll-moulded, shoulder-arched openings and stop-chamfered doorways. 2-leaf timber panelled door to bar entrance; scroll brackets supporting slightly advanced section of frieze above. 2 timber panelled doors with plate glass fanlights to flats above; bracketed window balcony with decorative wrought-iron balustrade above door to left. Decorative wrought-iron window balconies to 3 windows at 1st floor to outer right.
Plate glass in timber sash and case windows at 1st floor; large plate glass windows to ground (windows to number 5 boarded over). Grey slate. Stone skews. Rendered coped stacks with tall cylindrical cans.
INTERIOR (PORTERS BAR): lobby with reeded timber doors and panelling; leaded stained glass to upper panels with lettering to doors: JUG BAR to left, PUB BAR to right. Copper door furniture. Mosaic floor bearing the legend PIERSHILL TAVERN. Decorative plaster cornice to ceiling with dentil and egg & dart mouldings. Timber panelled public bar: arcaded Spanish mahogany gantry, mahogany bar, further doors with border-glazed stained glass panels, compartmented ceilings with dentil and egg and dart mouldings;
Good, plain, mid-19th century terrace (opposite the former Piershill Barracks). Public house with particularly fine, well-preserved interior. Earlier maps show a selection of various buildings on this site. It is probable that there has been a public house here ever since the barracks were built in about 1790.
Other nearby listed buildings