This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9422 / 55°56'31"N
Longitude: -3.2734 / 3°16'24"W
OS Eastings: 320558
OS Northings: 672858
OS Grid: NT205728
Mapcode National: GBR 84K.FC
Mapcode Global: WH6SK.PXF0
Entry Name: St John's Road and 1 Kaimes Road, St Anne's Parish Church, Including Boundary Walls, Postbox, Gatepiers, Gates, Railings and Street Light
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364409
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27297
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Corstorphine/Murrayfield
Traditional County: Midlothian
P McGregor Chalmers, 1911-13. Later additions of hall and various rooms at rear. 2-stage, 7-bay near-rectangular plan Italian Romanesque church. Central nave-gable flanked by lean-to side-aisles forming gabled side-chapels at E; semi-circular 5-sided apse surmounted by semi-dome at E; rectangular-plan gabled hall adjoining at SE. Hammer-dressed coursed pink sandstone; polished ashlar dressings. Base course; vertical pilaster divisions at ground; narrow arched openings; dentiled cornice; stepped frieze at gable heads; cruciform finials.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: steps up to advanced entrance porch at left; 2-leaf timber panelled door; carved architrave, semi-circular tympanum and hoodmould supported by columns with carved capitals. 3 single windows to side aisle. Single storey re-entrant angle porch; timber door. 3 single windows to side-chapel. 7 sets of paired clerestory windows to nave.
E ELEVATION: 5 bay apse; moulded cill courses; blind tripartite arcade. Flanking chapels comprise centrally placed pair of windows. Church hall and subsidiary rooms adjoin to outer right.
W ELEVATION: 3 windows to nave; cill course. Single windows to flanking side aisles. Church hall and subsidiary rooms adjoin to outer left.
N ELEVATION: as for S elevation, except no entrance porches. Church hall and subsidiary rooms adjoin.
CHURCH HALL AND SUBSIDIARY ROOMS: hall to rear of church completed 1930, Guild Room doubled in size 1932 by T Bowhill Gibson. Both in similar style and material to main church.
Heavy leaded windows; stained glass; skylights. Grey slate roof; raised stone skews; skewputts.
INTERIOR: continuously arcaded, with a pair of clerestory windows over each arch, supported by a series of square piers and columns. Richly carved column capitals, each of four symbols expressing a theme - Christian Life/Christ/The Children of the Bible/Four Parables/The Word Prophesised and Preached/ Practical Religion/The Trinity/The Church. Domed ceiling of vestibule rests on four carved corbel stones symbolic of Praise - Viol, Harp, Organ and Pipe. 13 stained glass windows of heavy leadwork by Gordon Webster (3 by his father); porch windows by William Wilson 1947. Chancel floor of draughtboard pattern marble from Greece and Iona; timber pulpit and pews.
BOUNDARY WALLS, POSTBOX, GATEPIERS, GATES, RAILINGS AND STREET LIGHT: coped, rubble sandstone wall containing post box at S; square-plan gatepiers with pitched caps; cast iron gates, and railings; black scrolled iron lantern street-light to W of church.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such (C of S). In McGregor Chalmers' original design, a tall Campanile tower was intended over the main entrance, but the 1914-18 war intervened and the tower remains unbuilt. Although incomplete, the building is a fine example of McGregor Chalmers' scholarly revivalist work, abounding in high quality materials and craftsmanship.
Other nearby listed buildings