History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

191-201 (Odd Nos) Great Junction Street and 3 and 5 Bangor Road, Edinburgh

A Category C Listed Building in Leith, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9735 / 55°58'24"N

Longitude: -3.177 / 3°10'37"W

OS Eastings: 326640

OS Northings: 676242

OS Grid: NT266762

Mapcode National: GBR 8R6.Y4

Mapcode Global: WH6SM.53DY

Entry Name: 191-201 (Odd Nos) Great Junction Street and 3 and 5 Bangor Road, Edinburgh

Listing Date: 29 March 1995

Last Amended: 8 March 2018

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 364674

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27483

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Leith

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Seafield

Description

Circa 1890. A 4-storey corner tenement with shops at the ground floor and Free Renaissance detailing. Built of cream sandstone polished ashlar. There is a continuous cornice with a blocking course above the shopfronts, a cill course at 2nd floor and a bracketted eaves cornice with delicate iron brattishing. There are angled pilasters which are moulded and pedimented at ground floor. They are channelled at 1st and 2nd floor and panelled at 3rd with coped dies above eaves level. There are architraved windows which are scrolled and pedimented at 1st floor, corniced at 2nd floor and shouldered and keystoned with bracketted cills at 3rd floor.

GREAT JUNCTION STREET ELEVATION (Northeast): 5-bay elevation. 2-leaf panelled common stair doorway off centre; shops flanking, mostly altered or boxed-in, No 189 tiled butcher shop, No 199 mosaic doorway (Gray & Co). Bipartite windows to outer left; single windows to remaining bays.

BANGOR ROAD ELEVATION (Northwest): 5-bay including canted corner bay to outer left, round-arched keystoned doorway (now blocked), 3-storey canted bay corbelled above ground floor with initialled panel (?H G?) above 2nd floor. Blank bay to the right. Single windows to bay to right of centre. Bipartite windows to remaining bays.

2 wallhead stacks. Timber sash and case windows with plate glass glazing, some 4-pane. Downpipes recesses.

INTERIOR: not seen 1993.

Statement of Interest

Previous listed building record noted that the building was shown as the property of Henry Gray on a Dean of Guild drawing of 1893 for the neighbouring tenement.

Statutory address changed and listed building record revised in 2018. Previously listed as "191-201 (Odd Nos) Great Junction Street and 3 and 5 Bangor Road, Edinburgh".

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.