History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

National Gallery Of Scotland, The Mound, Edinburgh

A Category A Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9509 / 55°57'3"N

Longitude: -3.1956 / 3°11'44"W

OS Eastings: 325433

OS Northings: 673742

OS Grid: NT254737

Mapcode National: GBR 8NG.58

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.WPFB

Plus Code: 9C7RXR23+9P

Entry Name: National Gallery Of Scotland, The Mound, Edinburgh

Listing Name: 1 the Mound, National Gallery of Scotland with Railings

Listing Date: 14 December 1970

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 364975

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27679

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

William Playfair, 1850-59 with later alterations and additions, including WT Oldrieve, 1911-12 (see Notes). Cruciform Ionic temple/gallery on stylobate. Paired Ionic columns in antis to centre at N and S with entrance in pronaos, flanked by tetrastyle Ionic porticoes. E and W elevations pilastraded; higher central transverse block with hexastyle Ionic porticoes to centre of E and W elevations. Antifixae and acroteria to plain pediments. Solid parapet to higher central section, balustered to lower.

INTERIOR: 2 ranges of top-lit lozenge-shaped and octagonal galleries. Corinthian-columned screens between galleries. Curved stairs to N and S to galleries at upper level.

Statement of Interest

Foundation stone laid by Prince Albert 30th August 1850. Funded by the Treasury and the Board of Trustees, a large part of the site being given by the City at a nominal cost. Twin porticoes to N and S reflect the building's original dual function, divided longitudinally to accommodate the exhibition galleries of the RSA to E and the National Gallery permanent collection to W. Cost constraint was a factor in the unadorned style of the building. In 1912 the RSA galleries moved to the former Royal Institution building to N (separately listed). Internal alterations were made by WT Oldrieve in 1911-12. A railway tunnel runs under the building. In 1970 additional galleries were constructed in the basement to SE. An underground link to the former RSA building, which will provide access from East Princes Street Gardens, a cafe, lecture theatre and bookshop is under construction (2001).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.