History in Structure

East Lodge And Gateway, Royal Victoria Hospital, Craigleith Road, Edinburgh

A Category B Listed Building in Inverleith, Edinburgh

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.9581 / 55°57'29"N

Longitude: -3.2292 / 3°13'45"W

OS Eastings: 323350

OS Northings: 674580

OS Grid: NT233745

Mapcode National: GBR 8FC.CP

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.CHHS

Plus Code: 9C7RXQ5C+68

Entry Name: East Lodge And Gateway, Royal Victoria Hospital, Craigleith Road, Edinburgh

Listing Name: Craigleith Road, Royal Victoria Hospital, Gateway Lodge

Listing Date: 14 December 1970

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 365070

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27752

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200365070

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Inverleith

Traditional County: Midlothian

Tagged with: Gatehouse Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


Sydney Mitchell and Wilson, 1906. Unusual Arts and Crafts style asymmetrical lodge atop tall Tudor arched stone entrance pend to former hospital site. Rubble stone walls with smooth rounded ashlar quoins to pend and stone corbels supporting angled timber bracket supports for lodge above. Single window to left over carved stone panel. Slate hung elevations to lodge with 11 section-mullioned, multipane windows incorporating canted bay to left to street elevation. Half-rounded stone stair tower to rear with entrance under pend. Full height, riveted and boarded timber gates on tall single hinge mechanism. Timber boarded ceiling to pend and overhangs.

Predominantly 8-pane timber side hung and mullioned casement windows to upper floor. Bellcast roof with graded grey slates; off centre ridge stack; boarded timber entrance door to pend. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: simple interior floor plan and plain decorative scheme. Stone spiral stair leading to bathroom to half landing with window to front; upper floor with corridor to rear and 3 rooms spanning main window to front. 4-panel timber doors. Coiled detail window handles and brackets, some fitted cupboards circa 1950.

Statement of Interest

A very distinctive Arts and Crafts style lodge cantilevered over a tall stone entrance gateway by a renowned Scottish architect and prominently sited in the streetscape clearly marking the entrance to the former Royal Victoria Hospital, historically important in the development of tuberculosis treatment.

The Royal Victoria Hospital developed on its current site with a revolutionary new treatment ethos to combat tuberculosis in 1894. The pioneering new treatment programme lead by Dr Robert Philip (1857-1939) required patients to be exposed the sun and fresh air; it was a non-medical programme to treat the disease in its early stages. Dr Philip had run a successful dispensary from 1887 but the opening of a treatment sanatorium was a considerable step forward in the development of fighting the disease.

The hospital was originally housed in Craigleith House, the former villa on the site. 5 Butterfly-plan pavilion 'sun houses' were built in the grounds from 1903-1907. The administration block (see separate listing) and the gateway lodge were both built in 1906 by Sydney Mitchell and Wilson as part of this development phase on site. The hospital was converted to care for the elderly circa 1954. A large new ward block was built 1967 and extended in the late 1980s at which point the butterfly wards were demolished. The administrative block and the lodge gateway are the two remaining buildings that relate to the development of the tuberculosis hospital in the early 20th century.

The gateway and associated administration block are very much in the ethos of the Arts and Crafts movement which looked to traditional styles and methods in reaction to mass production and mechanisation. The buildings were designed by Sydney Mitchell (1856-1930) who was a prominent and inventive architect of the period who made use of a range of different architectural styles in his work.

The carved stone panel reads 'The Royal Victoria Hospital' and used to continue 'for Consumption' but the latter was chiselled off sometime around 1954 when the hospital was converted to care for the elderly. The lodge was used for caretaker's living accommodation.

List description and statutory address updated, 2012.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.