This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9124 / 55°54'44"N
Longitude: -3.2529 / 3°15'10"W
OS Eastings: 321780
OS Northings: 669524
OS Grid: NT217695
Mapcode National: GBR 88X.L1
Mapcode Global: WH6SS.0N89
Plus Code: 9C7RWP6W+XR
Entry Name: Rogerson Boarding House, Merchiston Castle School, Colinton Road, Edinburgh
Listing Name: Colinton Road, Merchiston Castle School, Chalmers House
Listing Date: 19 November 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365362
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27983
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Colinton/Fairmilehead
Traditional County: Midlothian
W J Walker Todd. 1928. 2-storey, 9-bay, U-plan, symmetrical early Scottish classical style boarding house with attic and piended roof. Advanced outer bays; large windows at ground in recessed arches with entablature supported on pilasters and carved stonework to tympanum. Central pilastered doorway with scrolled carved stonework flanking window above. Semi-octagonal stair towers to side elevations. Harled with sandstone dressings. Base course, projecting cornice above 1st floor, eaves course; lintels with projecting keystones to main elevations; cill course to some parts of side and rear elevations. Regular fenestration with piend-roofed dormers to attic. Rendered quadrant link wall with ashlar copes and base course to Main school building; central roll-moulded architraved gateway with bracketed cornice and blocking course above.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3 stone steps leading to central door; pilastered doorway with entablature and plain tablet above; architraved window above with flanking scrolls.
NE AND SW (SIDE) ELEVATIONS: 3-sided canted bay to centre: door to basement, staircase windows above. Oculus window at 1st floor; small rectangular windows to attic. Regularly fenestrated 3-bay sections to right and left. Slightly lower 3-bay wing to S: central door with tabbed architrave and simple canopy; blind architraved tablet above; flanking windows to both floors.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: regularly fenestrated 3-storey block to centre; 3-storey and attic advanced outer bays with timber doors at ground and piend-roofed dormers to attic.
12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; 9-pane circular window and 2 & 3-pane lights to canted bays. Piended grey slate roof with ridge tiles and lead flashings. Buff painted cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative metal hoppers and enclosed gutters across attic windows. Some roof lights to lower rear wing. Harled stacks with ashlar copes; short clay cans
INTERIOR: in use as boarding accommodation for school.
B-Group with Colinton Castle, Dovecot, Ha-Ha, Gibson House (formerly Colinton House), Stables, House at Walled Garden, Walled Garden, Garden Store, Main School Building, Rogerson House, Headmaster's House, South Lodge, Gatepiers and Boundary wall. Built in conjunction with Merchiston Castle School and its Memorial Hall. It (and its twin, Rogerson House) is stylistically similar. It was purpose built to house some of the 250 boarders at the school in the early 20th century. The name came from Charles Chalmers (the brother of Dr Thomas Chalmers, the leader of the Disruption of 1843) who lived at Park Place near Bristo. He taught maths and science to University student boarders. He leased Merchiston Tower in 1833 so he could expand his schooling operation. He moved there with around 30 boys and Merchiston Castle School was born. He remained headmaster and owner until 1850 when he was followed by John Gibson, then Thomas Harvey. John Rogerson, after whom the other house is named, was then headmaster for 35 years.
Other nearby listed buildings