This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9601 / 55°57'36"N
Longitude: -3.1465 / 3°8'47"W
OS Eastings: 328516
OS Northings: 674711
OS Grid: NT285747
Mapcode National: GBR 8ZB.4Z
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.MGV8
Plus Code: 9C7RXV63+29
Entry Name: Craigentinny House, Loaning Road, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 9 Loaning Road, Craigentinny House Including Boundary Walls with Pavilion End, Gatepiers and Garden Houses
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365473
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28047
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Craigentinny/Duddingston
Traditional County: Midlothian
16th and 17th century, alterations and additions circa 1850 David Rhind. 4-storey asymmetrical laird's house with turrets and gablets. Rubble with freestone dressings.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central bays with 3 small windows at ground floor, plain doorway to right of middle bay, 3 large window at 1st floor, 2 smaller at 2nd floor to right, 2 smaller at 3rd floor with crowstepped gablets to right. Corbelled chimney to left of middle bay rising through 1st floor to shouldered stack above eaves. Round turret corbelled out at 1st floor in re-entrant angle of advanced outer bays to left. Projecting freestone guttering with gargoyles at eaves of central section. Heavily buttressed corner to E rising to square bartizan (circa 1850) with crowstepped gable, square window cable mouldings to window margins and corbels. Small slit window at 2nd floor. Bays to W advanced, recessed door to right with ashlar surround, sash windows at 1st floor, small window at 3rd floor, central window at ground floor, small windows to left at intermediate levels denoting stair tower. Small windows at 1st to 3rd floors on E facing flank.
W ELEVATION: gable end advanced from stair tower. Vestigial crowstepps forming hips if large chimney stack, flanked by corbelled turrets with conical slate roofs and finials. 3 windows to each turret, 4 varied and irregularly disposed windows, 2 small slit windows to gable end.
1 small, 2 larger windows to W face of stair tower. Circular abbreviated tower, crowstep gables, corbelled skewputts, window and small slit window in re-entrant angle of stair tower at ground and 1st floor levels.
N ELEVATION: 4 bay, 3 storeys and basement (ground floor at E front). Entrance door in piano nobile between 2 bays to right, Roman Doric pilastered, architraved doorpiece, later steps on rubble base.
E ELEVATION: see Notes.
Grey slate pitched roof above N and S fronts, piended above stair tower. Sash and case timber windows. Regularly disposed but of varied size and margins on N elevation. Additional window at 2nd floor between centre bays N elevation.
GARDEN, BOUNDARY WALLS, GARDEN HOUSES, PAVILION AND GATES: raised garden to W with rubble stone wall. Rubble stone boundary wall to N and S, driveway entrance to W of S wall with squared and snecked rubble faced quadrants and square ashlar gatepiers. Doorway with dressed lintel and surround to right. New entrance to E. Remains of small pavilion, square with gargoyles at E corner of wall. 2 small garden- houses to at E and W of original garden walls to S across Loaning Road; square rubble with domical rubble roofs.
E end of house destroyed by bomb 1942. New T-plan extension added circa 1976 now housing Community Education Centre, connects with old house through E gable end.
Other nearby listed buildings