This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.959 / 55°57'32"N
Longitude: -3.154 / 3°9'14"W
OS Eastings: 328047
OS Northings: 674598
OS Grid: NT280745
Mapcode National: GBR 8XC.MC
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.JH93
Plus Code: 9C7RXR5W+H9
Entry Name: Marionville, 232 Marionville Road, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 232 Marionville Road, Marionville, Including Boundary Walls, Railings and Gates
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365527
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28089
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Craigentinny/Duddingston
Traditional County: Midlothian
Mid 18th century with internal alterations, Reginald Fairlie & Partners, 1958-59. 2 storeys, basement, cellar and attic. 5-bay classical villa. Squared and coursed sandstone, rubble to sides and rear. Eaves cornice on brackets. Large asymmetrically placed dormer.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Basement entrance door with plain 3-light panel above, dressed stone surround. Windows 12-pane sash with dressed, architraved surrounds. Bowed stair with slender cast-iron balustrade to central architraved doorpiece on piano nobile, with traceried fanlight. Door and windows corniced. 2nd floor windows as basement. Quoined ends.
W ELEVATION: 3-bay. Basement with single small sash window to centre. 1st floor with window to centre, large window to left, blocked window to right. 2nd floor with blind window to centre, larger windows to left and right. All with dressed, raised margin. Large coursed stone wallhead stack with cornice to centre above eaves.
S ELEVATION: 3-bay. Steps down to central cellar entrance door, plain with rectangular light. Blind opening to right. Windows to basement, 1st and 2nd floor, those at 1st floor taller. Shallow, decorative cast-iron balconies to 1st floor windows. Additional window between centre and left bays at 1st floor. Port hole opening to right of centre bay at ground floor.
E ELEVATION: 3-bay. Narrow centre door, 4-pane light above, ashlar surround. 1st floor with windows to centre and left, blind to right, 2nd floor all blind. Chimney stack to match W.
Piended roof, grey slates with prominent bowed dormer offset to left.
INTERIOR: fine classical decorative scheme including following; rich plaster decorations to entrance hall, fluted Corinthian columns in corners, entablature with architrave, frieze with pateras, cornice with varied decoration. Vaulted ceiling with rib, bead and lattice mouldings. Ceiling above 1958 staircase with shallow dome with key-pattern base on pendentives and lunettes, with cornice. Varied patterns to plasterwork. Single room 2nd floor opening on NW and S fronts. Doorcase with Corinthian pilasters and entablature; richly decorated cornice around room with coving above; classical timber chimneypiece.
BOUNDARY WALL: rubble stone to NE & W, with wrought-iron gates to N. Later outbuildings to SE.
Roman Catholic Church of SS Ninian and Triduana within grounds to W. House owned by Archdiocese since 1928. Marionville built for the Misses Ramsay (milliners), named after a niece.
Other nearby listed buildings