This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9469 / 55°56'48"N
Longitude: -3.1916 / 3°11'29"W
OS Eastings: 325677
OS Northings: 673296
OS Grid: NT256732
Mapcode National: GBR 8PH.0P
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.YSCC
Plus Code: 9C7RWRW5+Q9
Entry Name: Candlemakers' Hall, 36, 38, 40 Candlemaker Row, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 36-42 (Even Nos) Candlemaker Row, Including Candlemakers' Hall
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 366294
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28416
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
James Watson, 1722, remodelled Ebenezer J McRae, 1929 (see Notes). 4-storey 8-bay tenement block with 5-storey projecting square stair towers to S and N. Random rubble.
NE ELEVATION: 5-storey gabled stair tower to left with carved panel (see Notes) above timber panelled door in moulded surround at ground; circular window in gable. 4 centre bays irregularly fenestrated; door in 2nd bay from right with splayed wallhead stack above, narrow bay to outer right. Piend-roofed stair tower to right with door at ground; 2 bays to outer right irregularly fenestrated; door to left; splayed wallhead stack above.
Small-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Broad splayed wallhead stacks with circular cans to front and rear.
B group comprises Nos 1-5 Forrest Road, 1-3 Greyfriars Place, 4-6 Greyfriars Place, 30-34 Candlemaker Row (Greyfriars Bobby's Bar, 36-42 Candlemaker Row (including Candlemaker Hall), 44 Candlemaker Row, 46-48 Candlemaker Row, 50-54 Candlemaker Row, 56 and 56A Candlemaker Row and 58-64 Candlemaker Row. Rear elevations of group form eastern boundary of Greyfriars churchyard, setting for an important group of mural monuments. In the 17th century the candlemakers were forbidden to have their workshops in the burgh, due to risk of fire and the noxious process. They were granted the use of waste ground near the Society Port in the Flodden Wall, to the E of Greyfriars churchyard. The tenement containing their Convening Hall (36 Candlemaker Row) was begun in 1722. James Watson was the builder. Date (1722) inscribed in weathered carved panel above door of No 36, below arms of Incorporation of Candlemakers and inscription OMNIA MANIFESTA LUCE (no longer legible). No 40, formerly known as Henry's Land, is partly earlier and partly later than its neighbours. Greyfriars Bobby's Bar now extends from Nos 30-34 into the ground floor of No 36. Candlemakers' Hall was the first renovation project of the Cockburn Conservation Trust.
Other nearby listed buildings