This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9472 / 55°56'49"N
Longitude: -3.1915 / 3°11'29"W
OS Eastings: 325683
OS Northings: 673322
OS Grid: NT256733
Mapcode National: GBR 8PH.0L
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.YSD6
Plus Code: 9C7RWRW5+V9
Entry Name: 32 And 34 George Iv Bridge, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 32 and 34 George IV Bridge and 21 and 23 Candlemaker Row, with Retaining Wall and Railings
Listing Date: 29 April 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 367514
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28891
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
George Smith, circa 1850, and 1857. 2-storey 3-bay terraced bow-ended shop to N (3 stories to Candlemaker Row) and single storey shop (2 storeys to Candlemaker Row) to S on triangular site at junction of George IV Bridge and Candlemaker Row (see Notes). Droved ashlar with polished dressings, coursed sandstone to Candlemaker Row. Moulded eaves cornice and parapet to 2-storey block. Keyblocked lugged architraves to upper windows.
E (GEORGE IV BRIDGE) ELEVATION: slightly recessed 3-bay block to right: modern shop-front within Corninthianesque pilasters to ground; 3 windows above (centre window blinded); pilaster strip to left at 1st floor. Single window at 1st floor to S-facing bowed elevation. 2-leaf glazed door to shop to left; later windows flanked by paired fluted Corinthian pilasters.
W (CANDLEMAKER ROW) ELEVATION: later shop inserted at cellar level of No 34 George IV Bridge. Pilastraded shop front to No 21 Candlemaker Row; glazed timber panelled door with small-pane glazed fanlight, flanked by windows; 2 windows to each floor above (3 blind); wallhead stack at parapet.
4-pane and 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to upper storeys. Corniced ashlar end stack to S elevation. Leaded flat roof concealed behind parapet.
RETAINING WALL AND RAILINGS: ashlar-coped coursed sandstone retaining wall to junction of George IV Bridge and Candlemaker Row with decorative cast-iron railings.
Site feued by Moses Jacob from the Improvement Commissioners. Dean of Guild drawings of 1857 are for the single storey S extension, and stipulate that the new shop must conform to 'Mr Jacob's house adjoining' in materials and workmanship. George IV Bridge was part of Thomas Hamilton's plan for the new Southern and Western approaches to the city. Hamilton was replaced by George Smith as architect to the Commissioners to the Improvement Act in 1834.
Other nearby listed buildings