History in Structure

Cannonball House, 356 Castlehill, Edinburgh

A Category A Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.9488 / 55°56'55"N

Longitude: -3.1962 / 3°11'46"W

OS Eastings: 325395

OS Northings: 673505

OS Grid: NT253735

Mapcode National: GBR 8NH.20

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.WQ5Z

Plus Code: 9C7RWRX3+GG

Entry Name: Cannonball House, 356 Castlehill, Edinburgh

Listing Name: 356 Castlehill and 2 Castle Wynd North, Cannonball House

Listing Date: 14 December 1970

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 366450

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28491

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200366450

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


Early 17th century with later alterations and additions (see Notes) including John Carfrae, 1913. 2-storey, semi-basement and attic tenement with lower gabled wings to rear. Random rubble with ashlar dressings. Long and short quoins.

N (CASTLEHILL) ELEVATION: 8 bays: 3 2-window nepus gables with apex stacks to left; lintel courses over attic windows. Stone steps with swept coped parapet to studded timber boarded door in roll-moulded surround to outer right; carved shield (worn) and inscription (NOSCE [TEIPSUM]) in lintel (removed from elsewhere in building).

W (CASTLE WYND NORTH) ELEVATION: gabled side elevation of block to Castlehill to left: irregularly fenestrated, some windows with stone grooves for shutters; wallhead stack. Single bay block to right with swept roof, stepped to slope of ground; ball-finialled gabled dormer to attic with initials in lintel (see Notes).

E ELEVATION: much altered 1913 (see Notes): E gable with 3 tall windows to 1st and 2nd floors, that to centre at 2nd floor with balustered apron, notched pilasters, inscription on lintel (see Notes), and aedicule over. Pend arch on moulded corbel to outer left. Scrolled skewputts to gable.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: gable end of SW extension to left; irregularly fenestrated; small windows, some with shutters which slide in original stone grooves. 2-window nepus S gables of main block visible behind. Remains of mid 18th century block to right mainly obscured by later additions.

Small-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates. Stone skews. Coped rubble stacks with circular cans.

Statement of Interest

Cannonball House takes its name from a cannonball embedded in its W gable; how this got there is uncertain. The earliest part of the building is the rectangular block to Castlehill. In the mid 18th century the bay to outer left was added, and the 3 nepus gables built. The lower wing to SW was built in 1630 by Alexander Mure, a skinner and Burgess of Edinburgh, whose initials, and those of his wife, Margaret Niellems, are in the pediment of the attic dormer. In 1913 Cannonball house was incorporated into Castlehill School (separately listed) by John Carfrae for the Edinburgh School Board. The interior was gutted and reconstructed as classrooms and offices. The previous interior is described by Wilson. The inscription in the lintel of the E gable reads ESB 1913, that in aedicule 'Cannonball House.'

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.