This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9483 / 55°56'53"N
Longitude: -3.2491 / 3°14'56"W
OS Eastings: 322089
OS Northings: 673506
OS Grid: NT220735
Mapcode National: GBR 89H.C6
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.2R2C
Plus Code: 9C7RWQX2+89
Entry Name: Kinellan House, 33 Murrayfield Road, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 33 Murrayfield Road, Kinellan House and Lodge
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 369210
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB29389
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Corstorphine/Murrayfield
Traditional County: Midlothian
R & R Dickson, 1846; Sir Robert Lorimer, 1913, enlarged. 2-storey attic and basement rectangular-plan house with giant pilasters. Coursed, polished sandstone ashlar with polished dressings. Raised base course; cill course to 1st floor; banded eaves course; cornice. Plain margins; panelled aprons to ground floor windows; corniced bipartite dormers to 3 central bays.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 5-bay, symmetrical. Irregularly disposed windows and doors to basement; ashlar steps and oversailing entrance platt to 2-leaf panelled entrance door with elaborate rococo fanlight to centre at ground; narrow flanking lights; window to each remaining bay at ground and to all bays at 1st floor; 3 attic dormers above.
S ELEVATION: steps to central door; emphatic pilaster and cornice door-piece; arched niche above; pediment above. Single windows flanking door/niche; 2 giant pilasters at ends.
W ELEVATION: 3-bay section to right; regular fenestration; giant pilasters at ends. 2-bay central section; single windows at ground floor; large arched windows above; platform dormer in attic to right. 3-bay section to left; bipartite lights in bay to right at ground and first floors; single windows in centre and left bay at both floors; strip pilasters at ends.
N ELEVATION: not seen 2001.
Multi-paned timber-framed sash and case glazing. Grey slate roof; corniced wallhead stack visible at left; cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2001.
LODGE: R & R Dickson, 1864; altered R Lorimer, 1913. S-facing single storey and attic 5-bay range; door in left bay; elliptical arched window; bipartite light; elliptical window; door in right bay; 4 attic dormer windows; single window in W gable-end. Mansard roof; swept at eaves; slate. Stack at gablehead; stacks in centre.
Plain classical building with original glazing. Lorimer was employed by J Herbert Hendan in 1913 to build stables and make alterations to the house and garage. Sculpture in garden: 'The Lion, The Women and the Lamb'.
Other nearby listed buildings