History in Structure

Kinellan House Lodge North, 16 Kinellan Gardens, Murrayfield Road, Edinburgh

A Category B Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.9486 / 55°56'54"N

Longitude: -3.2487 / 3°14'55"W

OS Eastings: 322114

OS Northings: 673545

OS Grid: NT221735

Mapcode National: GBR 89H.F2

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.2R82

Plus Code: 9C7RWQX2+CG

Entry Name: Kinellan House Lodge North, 16 Kinellan Gardens, Murrayfield Road, Edinburgh

Listing Name: 33 Murrayfield Road, Kinellan House and Lodge

Listing Date: 14 December 1970

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 369212

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB29389

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200369212

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Corstorphine/Murrayfield

Traditional County: Midlothian

Tagged with: Gatehouse

Find accommodation in


R & R Dickson, 1846; Sir Robert Lorimer, 1913, enlarged. 2-storey attic and basement rectangular-plan house with giant pilasters. Coursed, polished sandstone ashlar with polished dressings. Raised base course; cill course to 1st floor; banded eaves course; cornice. Plain margins; panelled aprons to ground floor windows; corniced bipartite dormers to 3 central bays.

E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 5-bay, symmetrical. Irregularly disposed windows and doors to basement; ashlar steps and oversailing entrance platt to 2-leaf panelled entrance door with elaborate rococo fanlight to centre at ground; narrow flanking lights; window to each remaining bay at ground and to all bays at 1st floor; 3 attic dormers above.

S ELEVATION: steps to central door; emphatic pilaster and cornice door-piece; arched niche above; pediment above. Single windows flanking door/niche; 2 giant pilasters at ends.

W ELEVATION: 3-bay section to right; regular fenestration; giant pilasters at ends. 2-bay central section; single windows at ground floor; large arched windows above; platform dormer in attic to right. 3-bay section to left; bipartite lights in bay to right at ground and first floors; single windows in centre and left bay at both floors; strip pilasters at ends.

N ELEVATION: not seen 2001.

Multi-paned timber-framed sash and case glazing. Grey slate roof; corniced wallhead stack visible at left; cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 2001.

LODGE: R & R Dickson, 1864; altered R Lorimer, 1913. S-facing single storey and attic 5-bay range; door in left bay; elliptical arched window; bipartite light; elliptical window; door in right bay; 4 attic dormer windows; single window in W gable-end. Mansard roof; swept at eaves; slate. Stack at gablehead; stacks in centre.

Statement of Interest

Plain classical building with original glazing. Lorimer was employed by J Herbert Hendan in 1913 to build stables and make alterations to the house and garage. Sculpture in garden: 'The Lion, The Women and the Lamb'.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.