History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

6, 7, 8 Upper Bow, Edinburgh

A Category C Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9489 / 55°56'55"N

Longitude: -3.1938 / 3°11'37"W

OS Eastings: 325547

OS Northings: 673514

OS Grid: NT255735

Mapcode National: GBR 8NG.KZ

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.XQBW

Plus Code: 9C7RWRX4+GF

Entry Name: 6, 7, 8 Upper Bow, Edinburgh

Listing Name: 5-8 (Inclusive Nos) Upper Bow

Listing Date: 11 January 1989

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 370398

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB29865

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

Thomas Moncur, 1882. 4-storey and attic 4-bay tenement with 17th century Scottish Revival detailing, stepped with slope of street. Rock-faced squared and snecked sandstone with polished dressings (painted ashlar to ground). Corniced ground floor; corbel table to attic. Long and short quoins; stop-chamfered corners to ground. Windows in tabbed surrounds. Advanced gabled bay to outer left: glazed door with plate glass fanlight in re-entrant angle. Recessed 3-bay block to right: stop-chamfered pilastraded openings to shops at ground floor (modern glazing); bipartite windows to right; carved panel with initials and date (188?-worn) between left and centre bays, with corbelled-out chimneybreast above, rising to wallhead gable flanked by windows; piend-roofed dormer to right.

6-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates.

Statement of Interest

Until after the 1827 Improvement Act West Bow was a steep Z-shaped street which climbed from the Grassmarket to Upper Bow at the foot of Castlehill. Most of the old buildings in West and Upper Bow were swept away to make room for the northern side of Victoria Street, built to link the Grassmarket with the new George IV Bridge. Before their demolition, Thomas Hamilton, the architect for the scheme, made careful elevational drawings of the buildings.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.