History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

20 Victoria Street, 18, Edinburgh

A Category B Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9488 / 55°56'55"N

Longitude: -3.1936 / 3°11'37"W

OS Eastings: 325555

OS Northings: 673504

OS Grid: NT255735

Mapcode National: GBR 8NH.L0

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.XQDY

Plus Code: 9C7RWRX4+GG

Entry Name: 20 Victoria Street, 18, Edinburgh

Listing Name: 8-20 (Even Nos) Victoria Street

Listing Date: 14 December 1970

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 370405

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB29871

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

George Smith, circa 1843. 16-bay terrace of 2- and 3-bay shops, single storey to E, single storey and mezzanine to W, stepped to incline of street, with round-arched roll-moulded openings. Ashlar (painted). Pavement and railings of Victoria Terrace and arcade of Quaker Meeting House (separately listed) above. Base course, eaves cornice and blocking course. Roll-moulded surrounds to openings.

Statement of Interest

Victoria Street was part of Thomas Hamilton's plan for the new Southern and Western Approaches to the city. The plan was first proposed in an article in the Scots Magazine in 1817 (attributed to Hamilton) proposing the formation of 'a Communication between the N and S sides of the City of Edinburgh by means of a bridge entering the Lawnmarket nearly opposite Bank Street.' Hamilton and William Burn produced a 'Report relative to the proposed approaches' in 1824, of which a plan appeared in 'The Scotsman' (27th November 1824). Hamilton and Burn went to London in 1825 to gain support for an Act of Parliament, and the City Improvement Act was passed in 1827. Hamilton was appointed architect to the Commissioners for the Improvement Act, and carried out the 2 major town planning initiatives for which they were responsible - the W approach - King's Bridge and Johnstone Terrace, and the S approach - George IV Bridge, and the link to the Grassmarket - Victoria Street. Hamilton was replaced as architect to the Commissioners in 1834 by George Smith, and the buildings on the N side of Victoria Street were designed by Smith.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.