This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9446 / 55°56'40"N
Longitude: -3.1984 / 3°11'54"W
OS Eastings: 325251
OS Northings: 673042
OS Grid: NT252730
Mapcode National: GBR 8MJ.MJ
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.VV45
Plus Code: 9C7RWRV2+RM
Entry Name: Chalmers Hospital, Lauriston Place, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 55 Lauriston Place, Chalmers Hospital, Including Boundary Wall, Railings and Lodge
Listing Date: 12 December 1974
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 370764
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB30022
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Peddie and Kinnear, 1864, with later alterations and additions. 3-storey, 3-bay centre block with 2-storey and basement 7-bay flanking wings (basement filled in with later building). Yellow polished ashlar, stugged to basement. Cill course at ground and 1st floors. Bracketed eaves. Stop-chamfered corners to building. Windows in stop-chamfered moulded surrounds, depressed-arched at 2nd floor.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-leaf timber panelled door with blind fanlight in stop-chamfered corniced and consoled surround in centre block; shoulder-arched windows to 1st floor; 2-light windows separated by colonnettes with foliate capitals to 2nd floor with decorative foliate carving above and below, in depressed-arched recess; slim spiral shafts carved into corners.
E AND W ELEVATIONS: tripartite stone-mullioned shoulder-arched windows to ground and 1st floor.
Rear elevation largely obscured by later additions.
8-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Corniced, splayed stacks with vertical banding and circular cans.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: later cast-iron railings to basement. Ashlar-coped stugged coursed sandstone boundary wall.
LODGE: single storey lodge. Coursed ashlar to front, coursed rubble to side and rear. Bracketed eaves. Projecting cills. Plate glass in timber sash and case windows; windows blocked to street. 2 timber doors to slated projection to rear. Grey slates to piend roof. Corniced chimney with circular can.
A group comprises Royal Infirmary Lodge (with boundary walls, railings, gates, gatepiers and lamp standards), main block (including linked ward pavilions) of Royal Infirmary, Former Ear Nose and Throat and Opthalmological Pavilions, Medical Pavilions (including Jubilee Pavilion), former Nurses' Home and Chalmers Hospital. Named after George Chalmers, a plumber in the Canongate, who died in 1836, leaving £27,00 to build a hospital. Managed separately from the Royal Infirmary by the Faculty of Advocates until 1948. Built on the site of the former Lauriston House. The material (polished ashlar) was chosen (according to THE BUILDER) 'so as to secure it externally from any impurity which might attach to it.'
Other nearby listed buildings